What's new

Third Antenna for Acer Revo r3610 802.11N

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gaudi

New Around Here
Hi, I am a network enthusiast and am building my HT at home. I have an Acer Revo r3610 HTPC mounted on the back of my LED TV wired to a CISCO SD2008 Gigabit Switch, which in turn is connected to a Linksys WRT610N Router (waiting to be replaced by a Cisco E4200V1 with DD-WRT).
My QNAP NAS is wired to this same router and I have no problems at all at Gigabit speeds to transfer and stream video.

I have recently bought a new Revo r3610 to install on the back of my bedroom's TV. Unfortunately I can't reach this Revo by wire, so I have it configured to access my router via WiFi.
I have checked the forum and articles on how to optimize and squeeze more out of my wireless network, but finally found that the included adapter (mini PCI-e) was a mere G adapter (oposedly to my livingroom's revo which has a N one).
So, instead of swapping the adapters I opted to buy a new one from eBay:
Atheros 5418 AR5BXB72 AR5008 Wifi Mini-PCI 802.11ABGN.
I have not received it yet, but noticed that the adapter makes use of 3 MIMO channels, so it requires 3 antennas. The Revo has only 2 tucked inside the case, so to be able to get full performance from the card both in 2.4 and 5 GHz I need a third one.

I have checked eBay and found different models, but have not got a clue which one to choose:

And besides, it shall be not too big because the Revo case is a little bit crowded and fully shielded.
An option would be to do the external antenna mod (http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2010/2/28/acer-aspire-revo-r3610-wifi-aerial-mod.html), but would not like to modify the case, though I have the skills to do it neatly.

So, I have a couple of questions.
Which of the listed antennas is better suited for this card?
Do all three have to be similar in construction to maintain polarity?, or a different one will do?
I have not found information on how antennas perform on both 2.4 and 5 GHz. Will the same antenna do for both frequencies?
Will it be better to do the mod and mount an external antenna?
If so, do I have to look for 5 GHz antenna?
Does it affect the performance to have 2 x internal + 1 high gain external antenna?

I have done extensive search but could not find the answers to my questions, so any help or hint will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Update: I have not taken pictures of the Revo's inside, but found some on the net that will serve. Check out here: http://doitdifferent.wordpress.com/2009/06/30/acer-aspire-revo/
You can spot the antennas on the top left and bottom center of the second picture (sticked with orange tape).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!