What's new

This is the best firmware for the R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cc666

Very Senior Member
Load this firmware from Kong DDWRT:

http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/netgear-nighthawk-router-wallpapers

Get the latest version for the R 7000. follow this:
reset to factory
After rebooting set up the router

I have been using this for a week now and there is no comparison to the bloated stock firmware. My network is stable and lightening fast, I can honestly say the R7000 with the DDWRT is faster and much more stable than
my RT-AC87.

CC

I never thought I'd see the day where someone would call an OEM firmware "bloated" compared to DD-WRT, which seems to offer every feature available under the sun.

I never thought I'd see the day where someone would call an OEM firmware "bloated" compared to DD-WRT, which seems to offer every feature available under the sun.

LOL look at the Asus thats loaded with bloatware...... Not as much on the R7000 ..... The code to me seems trimmed and
absolutely runs faster than the stock, I am not a new kid on the block...... I own both routers for over a year now.
Ready to sell the RT-AC87.

CC

Agree the Netgear stock firmware is deflated.. o_O :D

On android 4 and above you can disable system apps so you can disable bloatware that came with your phones. I wish they had this with routers so you dont go choosing a mode for the router and you can configure it in a less restrictive way. I still wish they'd remove the usb apps and put them in their app library for download instead.

Netgear firmwares lack a lot of features so i would call them basic but not as basic in features as tp-link.

Many thanks for your comments.

In your opinion, what are the main features missing from the stock firmware?

In your opinion, what are the main features missing from the stock firmware?

The biggest 'feature' missing for me was security and bug fixes offered after a new(er) model has been introduced. With windows update offering monthly (at minimum) security fixes, I don't see why routers should be any different (even if security fixes are not needed that frequently for them)?

Selling an appliance that sits on the public internet without continuous security fixes is irresponsible, imo.

Those days have passed us all. This particular hardware should be as secure as possible to the last day it is meant to be in use, correct? And dropping support after a new model or two is introduced just doesn't cut it.

Thank's for the update.....have passed on your comments to the US product team

A firmware update was recently released: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30091

I can tell you that new firmware is terrible. Read the forums at Netgear. You cannot port forward
certain ports, internet intermittently just disappears even though you are connected to the router.
Smart connect does not work properly. I can go on and on. I had that firmware running for 2 weeks and it was
a nightmare. Again goto the Netgears forums and read up.

DDWRT by Kong blows this away as far as stability and speed.

CC

I agree I am using r28575M of Kong DD-WRT and after extensive tweaking my wireless on 5ghz is stronger. It is not as easy to configure as the stock firmware but the biggest feature that DD-WRT has is a proper bandwidth usage so I know how much data I use each month.

Just want to know that is it worth it to upgrade to every new Kong build? I really want to stay with this build for a while unless some new important feature comes out since so far it has been stable.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!