What's new

Throughput Testing Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

erin1101

New Around Here
I just started testing throughput (on a 802.11ac AP) and don't really understand the numbers yet and what I'm doing.

So far I've used TamoSoft Throughput Test, which gives me TCP Up and TCP Down numbers. Do I add these for the total throughput? Cause these numbers individually seem way to low.

Also, what's the difference between the Uplink/Downlink, UpDown Throughput, and Uplink Profile/Downlink Profile results listed in the Charts (http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/)? Searched for an explanation but can't seem to find one.

Thanks for any help!

New process is described here. Previous method described here.

Uplink is STA (client) to AP. Downlink is opposite. UpDown is both directions simultaneously.

The way you use the numbers depends on what you are trying to measure.

I just downloaded and ran the TamoSoft test. Problem is that you don't have the option of testing only one direction at a time. Running wireless traffic simultaneously in both directions can give a skewed picture of what happens when traffic is running mostly in one direction.

I suggest using the TCP only option. QoS traffic type setting didn't seem to matter.

NetStress might be a better option since it allows you to set the direction tested.

Thanks for the help!

I'm trying to measure total avg throughput. What would that be in the charts: UpDown Throughput? I'm testing gigabit ethernet and 802.11ac and in that article it says NetStress isn't up to testing gigabit connections.

Looked at the testing methods but don't understand the differences between these numbers yet. For instance here's the chart results on the ASUS RT-AC66U:

Up 193.7 (profile 230)
Down 201.5 (profile 237)
Up/Down Throughput 524.10

What's the difference between the profile results the regular up and down results? And I'd think the Up and Down should equal the total throughput of 524 but it doesn't?

The default view of the uplink, downlink and updown charts is the average of the four (or three for 5 GHz) test locations. Using the selector beside the benchmark will show the individual location data.

The Profile results use the new test method that tests in 3 dB steps in a test chamber, vs. open air. So it contains more data and its average will be different.

If you are trying to duplicate our results, don't bother unless you have the same test setup. Wireless test results are highly variable.

What are you trying to test and why?

Ok understand the Profile tests now. Why doesn't the UpDown Throughput tests have locations?

And when i have Up and Down results from a tool like TamoSoft, do i add those to get the Total Throughput?

Just wanting to test the UniFi AC AP. Thinking about upgrading to AC in a small office and haven't tested throughput before. Saw that AP was reviewed here but was curious to see what results i get here.

UpDown is run only in Location A / 0 dB attenuation.

I don't know what you mean by "the Total Throughput". The Tamosoft tool is clear about what the numbers it provides. What you do with them is up to you.

I will be retesting the Ubiquiti AP AC once 3.1.4 firmware is out. Ubiquiti says it fixes the performance problems I found.

I guess another way to ask about my "total throughput" question: how do you get the UpDown Throughput results?

The Tamosoft tool gives just two numbers: Up and Down. Those are like your Up and Down results. But what about your UpDown Throughput results? How would I get an equivalent reading with a tool that shows just Up and Down?

Thanks again!

That's clearer, thanks.

Tamosoft runs traffic in both directions at the same time. So that's equivalent to my up/down script. But you need to add the two Tamosoft results together.

Tamosoft doesn't allow you to run traffic in one direction at a time. That would be equivalent to my separate uplink and downlink tests.

I've used ZTI Telecom's software on several projects ... not outrageously expensive. You can create whatever number of TCP or UDP flows you wish, in whatever direction, and with timing and randomness per packet as you wish.
You can setup profiles to simulate things like IP video streams, VoIP, and mixes.
IP Traffic - Test & Measure
http://www.zti-telecom.com/EN/IP-Products_Overview.html

Kind of like Chariot, but far less expensive.

used for IP end to end, via routers or not, WiFi or not, cellular or not, etc.