What's new

Time machine disk not found

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

We'll see. 3004.388.8 finalization got delayed due to high volume at work, a heatwave making me want to spend more time on the couch than in front of a hot PC, and health issues, so that means the change can be included in the final 388.8 release.

I still haven't heard a single report on whether adding mDNS resolution helped or not.

I still haven't heard a single report on whether adding mDNS resolution helped or not.
Two reports in the other thread said that it made no difference:
Yes, I tried it.. It doesn't fix the issue... I also found out that the stock firmware not based on the newest code meaning 3006 all suffer from this problem. Meaning If I upgrade my GT-AX11000 pro to the newest codebase the time machine works. Hopefully Merlin will release more supported models on the firmware 3006 instead of just the RT-BE96U & GT-BE98_PRO
I had run into Time Machine issues as well. Console logs on my mac indicated that it couldn't find afp://admin@routername_afpovertcp._tcp.local. Despite being able to manually mount that path in Finder. I also tried updating to 388.8 and that didn't fix it for me either. But I wanted to thank you for that tip about setting the TM location using the IP address! That has been working great so far for me :)

It fixed my Airprint issues that were occuring during the beta. I do not recall having issues with Airprint with the 386.7. Perhaps not the sole reason for this specific fix, but something definitely changed from 386.8 betas to release.

It fixed my Airprint issues that were occuring during the beta. I do not recall having issues with Airprint with the 386.7.
That would be unrelated then, since 388.7 didn't have mdns support either.

Two reports in the other thread said that it made no difference:
So it's as I was saying: highly unlikely that the router being able to locally do mDNS name resolution would have any impact on Time Machine working. There you go @sfx2000.

I had run into Time Machine issues as well. Console logs on my mac indicated that it couldn't find afp://admin@routername_afpovertcp._tcp.local.

Because AFP is deprecated on the client side, and with Apple Silicon it is not supported...

Here's what is for a TimeMachine host these days... that's all you need...

One really doesn't need the _rfb_.tcp, as this is remote desktop... just nice to have for a headless/remote Mac desktop.

Screenshot 2024-07-28 at 6.22.30 PM.png

One has to understand that TimeMachine requirements have changed dramatically... it doesn't use AFP, it does not use HFS/HFS+ inside the sparse bundle file - apple doesn't document this, but consider that with HFS+ there is a hard limit on the number of hard-links inside the bundle, and APFS has limits as well - and Sparse Bundles have limits as well with the number of bands within the bundle - go above 100GB, and it likely will break regardless of host.

My point being - in your backup vortex, be mindful of what files you really want to back up, and have a couple of methods to do it - TimeMachine is ok for short term, but it's not the best choice for long term...

With TimeMachine as it currently is - I cannot recommend anything other that Direct Attached Storage on the host Mac, and for Network support - another Mac running SMB file sharing.

Going back to the intent here - with Bonjour/Avahi - every node is considered an equal - so adding libnss-mdns is a good thing, as Avahi needs this...

@RMerlin - I'd be ok with removing netatalk for current Macs, but we also need to consider that legacy has a thing... there are hobby folks that like to run older Macs, and netatalk has benefit there.

Again, I would be totally ok with removing Samba and Netatalk support all together - routers are routers, not NAS boxes, and a half-baked solution is not a safe solution for saving files on an attached USB drive which might not be supported anyways - we've seen how that goes...