What's new

TL-WR1043ND - Great signal but terrible speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Harkenn

New Around Here
Newly built home; within the last 4 months wireless data transmission has steadily gone downhill and is so bad now that - during especially the worse times of day - wireless throughout the downstairs is nearly useless. Here are some behaviors of the network:

• Signal is always full (-45 db or so) throughout the downstairs
  • Network access on laptops from "dead spots" downstairs is nearly impossible (websites only load a third or quarter of the time)
  • Even upstairs, 5ft from the router and with LOS, website loading is better but only slightly (still largely inconsistent)
  • Plugging in via CAT5e fixes the problem entirely
  • No cordless phones in the home
  • 4 baby monitors (however, I've unplugged all of these to test for interference and it did not improve the network performance noticeably)
  • Dish network w/ 2 wireless stations
  • Tried 3 different routers, 2 of which were different models (signal strength is always high)

I suspect there are other sources of interference...but I can't imagine where they are and why they're affecting data transmission but not affecting signal strength. Anyone have anything to suggest?

Last edited:
Is yours a version 2? And do you have the latest firmware build on it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,
Client devices have latest driver? Another option may be trying 3rd party f/w, dd-wrt
or OpenWrt ones. That router supposes to be a decent box. Tried some speed test?