What's new

To Clone or Not To Clone...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

billyk

Occasional Visitor
So, based on excellent info gotten here, I have a new modem and new router on the way.

Last question: since I have good SSID's with strong passwords in place on my home network, is it best to simply clone the old router info so that everything automagically works from the start, or is it better to create new SSID's with a new strong password forcing every device to establish/negotiate new connection protocols with the new router?

Thanks!

I normally use the same SSIDs and passwords on the new router as used on the old and in most all cases devices connect. If they don't connect then tell them to forget the network and then re enter the credentials again. In fact I have a spare router set up with as near as possible the same settings as on my primary router so if something goes wrong I can switch routers and have my network back in action in minutes. Sometimes one or two of my Amazon devices need to be power cycled to force them to reconnect.

I don't know if it makes any difference but most all devices that connect to my network have been assigned static IPs. I make the same assignment on the new router as was used on the old router.

I always use the same SSIDs and the same passwords. It's easier to fix few clients only, if needed, than reconfigure of them.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!