What's new

TP-LINK Archer C8 is out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

...I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with a C7v2 and not a C8.
It's not THAT bad... they don't confuse a Product ID page because product IDs are unique. But just one level up, in that product ID hierarchy database, they have some category or type that they lump all the Review datafields onto.

CO.UK, DE, FR, ES, IT, AU - they all do this, too. Instead of a Review being linked to the Field A-subB-sub64, they've linked it to A-subB. That's why Reviews for GONE WITH THE WIND box sets, every DVD and BluRay are lumped together, but I can certainly purchase the correct individual item. I just can't determine what reviewers are saying about it!

They do this with books and now computer equipment, too. "Ya mean, all routers aren't the same?" I just wonder if the programmers confuse their coffee grinders with their sink disposals. "Only once!!"

They probably figured out the real problem years ago but, in their fantasy world, they decided to fix it later. Everyone knows fixing databases is so much easier once it's monstrously sized. Uh huh...riiiight... a server replication process that would have taken hours will now take days, and even longer to verify.

Anyway... that's why God invented these forums, so users (ahem ML70, for example) write up missing or poorly-done features that some folks haven't used, never imagined using but now, fully alerted, our readers with ponder their options more clearly.

Last edited:
Has TP-Link fixed their USB HDD and Samba issues already? Their samba used to go into eternal loop if there were more then 64 files in a directory... Tried WDR4900 a year ago and promptly returned it because of that.

Also their DLNA had significant issues, stuff just wasn't there or entire folder tree contents were messed up, and data that was sent to the DLNA "renderer" (for example smart TV) was corrupted.

I don't personally use routers for storage. At least in my limited testing, it worked fine for NTFS and FAT32 (no exFAT support). I can't promise I tried any directories with >64 files in it, but I think the thumb drive I was using had in that range in the folder I tested it with. Something like 30MB/sec reads for NTFS and ~20MB/sec writes, about 20MB/sec read/writes for FAT32.

Something like that. That is both USB2 and USB3. I didn't see any 2.4GHz issues with USB3. Again, very quick and casual testing with all that as I don't use router storage (but something I want to check to make sure it is working okay, just in case I need it).

Not a storage beast, but it seems to work fine.

It's not THAT bad... they don't confuse a Product ID page because product IDs are unique. But just one level up, in that product ID hierarchy database, they have some category or type that they lump all the Review datafields onto.

CO.UK, DE, FR, ES, IT, AU - they all do this, too. Instead of a Review being linked to the Field A-subB-sub64, they've linked it to A-subB. That's why Reviews for GONE WITH THE WIND box sets, every DVD and BluRay are lumped together, but I can certainly purchase the correct individual item. I just can't determine what reviewers are saying about it!

They do this with books and now computer equipment, too. "Ya mean, all routers aren't the same?" I just wonder if the programmers confuse their coffee grinders with their sink disposals. "Only once!!"

They probably figured out the real problem years ago but, in their fantasy world, they decided to fix it later. Everyone knows fixing databases is so much easier once it's monstrously sized. Uh huh...riiiight... a server replication process that would have taken hours will now take days, and even longer to verify.

Anyway... that's why God invented these forums, so users (ahem ML70, for example) write up missing or poorly-done features that some folks haven't used, never imagined using but now, fully alerted, our readers with ponder their options more clearly.
That's the first I've heard of that for Amazon.co.uk. must have changed since I last purchased something.

At least in my limited testing, it worked fine for NTFS and FAT32 (no exFAT support). I can't promise I tried any directories with >64 files in it, but I think the thumb drive I was using had in that range in the folder I tested it with.

Well that's the thing, the WDR-4900 I tested worked perfectly well up to 63 files per folder. And not at all afterwards. Also the folder traversal mechanism was faulty, with nested folders funny things happened, files got lost, folders got lost.

Judging from comments at their tech support site they still haven't got things working quite right. This, and the DLNA issues, was something I found within first day of testing, and then it was return to the shop right the next day. Makes me wonder how many equally serious bugs went unnoticed.

The impression I got, if you're fine with very limited basic functionality OR can install dd-wrt on it, then TP-Link is fine. If looking for rock solid advanced functionality, seek elsewhere. It looked like a bargain on price tag, unfortunately quality followed the price...

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!