What's new

Travel, sim. dual band, dual Ethernet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AirPort Express 2012 edition...

Simultaneous Dual Band, two ethernet ports

Any chance of more information on your setup? Based on your title, I've used an asus rt-n16 with a 3g USB modem in hotels and conference rooms for work and play. Well supported and well built is more important to me than fitting all possible bells and whistles in one box.

If you have an inclination towards Asus - the WL-330N3G is an interesting device...

Downside is that it only has one Ethernet port, and it's single band (b/g/n)...

If you have an inclination towards Asus - the WL-330N3G is an interesting device...

Downside is that it only has one Ethernet port, and it's single band (b/g/n)...
At the expense of size/weight/cabling, you can put a small ethernet switch on this WL330N..

I've been using the hotspot sharing mode on my Andriod (HTC) phone, on Verizon. No extra charge for using the hotspot mode as there used to be. Works OK for same room coverge, or a two room hotel suite.

But an iPAD or my laptop can gobble up the gigabytes in my plan in a week if you use it heavily, like on a 1-2 week trip.

I've long used Cradlepoint travel routers. Very good firmware, but they're being phased out for costly M2M products with an in-built LTE modem - rather than the USB modem I've used. USB modem on the travel router and used on the laptop, and home router which is an MBR900 with cellular fail-over.

I've long used Cradlepoint travel routers. Very good firmware, but they're being phased out for costly M2M products with an in-built LTE modem - rather than the USB modem I've used. USB modem on the travel router and used on the laptop, and home router which is an MBR900 with cellular fail-over.

Completely forgot about CradlePoint, but they've had some great solutions out there -- the CTR35 was good, but now discontinued, but the MBR95 is still available (and supported, if I recall correctly), if a bit less portable...

Using a handset as a 3g-4g/WiFi hotspot is a bit of a compromise - but works in a pinch - at the moment, I'm carrying around an ATT Unite Pro for travel - it is an absolute beast compared to handset hotspot modes - dual-band wifi and LTE connectivity with a massive battery - it's co-Branded with ATT/NetGear, but Sierra Wireless is the actual device developer for it.

sfx

Still curious about the requirements. I use either a galaxy s4, my main phone, or a nexus 7 2013 LTE, as a hot spot, to connect my work laptop to the vpn when I'm at a client or contractor office. It has worked for me in the US, UK, Madrid, Morocco, Sicily, and Quebec. My coworker does the same in Saudi, Singapore and Australia.

If it's for work or you have deep pockets, the cost per gb doesn't matter, you use what you need. If it's for fun on a holiday, you bring your files along, don't depend on the cloud, and use wifi where possible.