What's new

Tricky subnet from public net via internal wifi adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigredplatoon

New Around Here
I'm new here, been having an issue that's bugged me enough to create an account because I cannot seem to find info! Figured you guys would know.

Anyway I share an internet connection (uverse pos) with a buddy in an apartment below me. All my devices are connected via wifi (no ethernet whatsoever)

My goal is to create a small PRIVATE network for myself and all my devices, using the available wifi below me. To which he cannot see my devices and I cannot see his. I have a router, but no way to run an ethernet cord from his apartment to mine. (I was going to subnet)

My first thought was oh! I could use the wifi off of an old laptop (I use as file/movie server) and bridge the connection to MY router using microsofts Internet Connection Sharing option in the network adapter settings. When I did this it failed, I guess the two routers had conflicting DHCP. Then I turned off DHCP on MY router, which then worked, but I could still see all my buddies devices (which I dont want).

I dont want my buddy seeing my devices. I just want to leach wifi off of the Uverse router, go to my laptops internal wifi, and then bridge it onto my own routered private network.

I have no idea whatsoever, I've been searching for days. Sorry if I am not very clear, I'm exhausted. Thanks for any future info.

You need a router that allows bridging either through WDS, or as a general client bridge. Then try it out connecting to his router with that. Then connect your bridged router LAN to WAN on another router and run that router to provide wireless connection on a seperate channel for your gear.

Everything wired and wireless behind your second router will be on its own network then.

No clue if the DLink can do that or if you'd need a different router.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!