What's new

Trouble with opening ports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Burnerdroid

Occasional Visitor
Hey all - wondering if someone can help.

I have a Arris cable modem / router combo that is set to NAPT mode - Disabled which should make it only act as a modem.

Asus 3100 with 01/22 most up to date merlin firmware

WAN Connection Type
Automatic IP​
Enable WANYes
Enable NATYes
Enable UPnP UPnP FAQ No

target device with Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list assigned 192.168.2.179

UPnP disabled

I go into WAN / port forwarding and input my IP of target device, port I want open. Turn it on. Check the port on portchecker and its still closed.

Custom Configuration
Service NameOPEN PORT TEST
Protocol TCP
External Port44158
Internal Port * Optional
Internal IP Address192.168.2.179 (the target device)
arrow-down.gif
Source IP * Optional

Tried updating firmware (was on the previous build, now up to date) rebooting, searched google and youtube for about 3 hours... Any advice? Ive setup port forwarding on other routers without issue.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

maybe obvious but is something listening on the target computer on port 44158/TCP? (netstat or ss shows it on the computer?)
The system log>port forwarding on the router shows the port opened to the correct protocol/local IP?

Are you running an RT-AC3100 with RMerlin 386.4_0 firmware?

What was the previous firmware you had running on it? Was the router/network working well then?

If you made a big jump to the latest firmware I refer to in this post, did you do a full reset afterward and then minimally and manually configure the router (without using a saved backup config file)?

maybe obvious but is something listening on the target computer on port 44158/TCP? (netstat or ss shows it on the computer?)
The system log>port forwarding on the router shows the port opened to the correct protocol/local IP?
Correct it is opened to the correct protocol and the target IP of the machine, confirmed IP on machien with ipconfig / how it shows connected in ASUS GUI web - Can see other ports established in the high 49xxx- 65XXX - unsure why the one I have plugged in isnt showing.
Are you running an RT-AC3100 with RMerlin 386.4_0 firmware?

What was the previous firmware you had running on it? Was the router/network working well then?

If you made a big jump to the latest firmware I refer to in this post, did you do a full reset afterward and then minimally and manually configure the router (without using a saved backup config file)?
Correct. Previous was 386.2 i believe it was the previous build/ Everything else working fine. I have never opened a port before on this router (i am saying I have experience opening ports, but in like 2017 different router) firmware update didnt flip a setting if that is what you are asking, couldnt get it to work on older firmware either, thats why I updated. Will maybe try a fresh install.
Not a good idea!
This is for testing purposes only :)

Is this another "miner" problem? :rolleyes:

Check that your ISP is giving you a public IP address and not a CGNAT address.

Is this another "miner" problem? :rolleyes:

Check that your ISP is giving you a public IP address and not a CGNAT address.

Not CGNAT issue.... should be able o

No CGNAT issues. I tried setting up an azure open VPN with dedicated IP address & routing the config so my machine goes through 44158, internet access, opened ports on azure as well, but still no dice seeing 44158 open... i literally have no idea now.

49xxx- 65XXX means Ms RPC protocol, so a very common thing but not with the WAN
If the portforwarding is not listed in system log>port forwarding then for sure it will not be accessible. Have you tried to change the port for anything >1024 (eg: 5678)
The meaning here is to dodgne any ISP limitation or reserved port

Hmmm trying to understand system log and connections - does this mean I am open on my 192.168.2.23 device? Xed out the destinations but they are all different....

ProtoNAT AddressNAT PortDestination IPPortState
tcp192.168.2.2344158XXXXXX443ESTABLISHED
tcp192.168.2.2344158XXXXXX443ESTABLISHED
tcp192.168.2.2344158XXXXXX2154ESTABLISHED
tcp192.168.2.23441585XXXX2154ESTABLISHED
tcp192.168.2.23441587XXXXXX4XXXX44158ESTABLISHED
tcp192.168.2.2344158XXXXXX20144158ESTABLISHED
tcp192.168.2.2344158XXXXXXX644158ESTABLISHED
tcp192.168.2.234415810XXXXXX2154TIME_WAIT