What's new

Trying to Convert Router to Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sammjordan

New Around Here
My previous Linksys e2000 router did not adequately cover my house, so I did some research into setting up a 2 router network (turning one router into an access point). I purchased an e4200 as my main router, purchased zyxel powerline equipment to run the connection into my basement, and attempted to use my e2000 as the access point using these directions

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30338-how-to-convert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30355-how-to-add-an-access-point-to-a-wireless-router

I've been following the instructions word for word, but I can't get the e2000 to transmit an active network connection! I verified the powerline was working by plugging directly into it with my laptop, and the connection was great.

When I change the access point IP address as suggested in the instructions, I lose all connection to it. I can't log into the router admin settings without completely resetting it to factory settings. When I leave the IP address alone, I see the connection and can get into the admin area, but don't get network connectivity. Can anyone help?

Are you plugged into one of the LAN ports of the e2000 or the WAN port? It's an easy thing to overlook. It sounds like you're plugging into the LAN. The reason you then can't access the admin console is that the e2000 sees the other router and changes its IP so it doesn't conflict. Either that or IP you're setting on the e2000 isn't on the same subnet as the e4200, ie the 1st, 2nd and 3rd number (octet) in the IPs aren't the same.

Are you plugged into one of the LAN ports of the e2000 or the WAN port? It's an easy thing to overlook. It sounds like you're plugging into the LAN. The reason you then can't access the admin console is that the e2000 sees the other router and changes its IP so it doesn't conflict. Either that or IP you're setting on the e2000 isn't on the same subnet as the e4200, ie the 1st, 2nd and 3rd number (octet) in the IPs aren't the same.

I could've sworn I plugged into the WAN, but I'll run through it again and double check. Thanks for both of the suggestions, I'll report back with results!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!