What's new

Trying to Figure Out Why Cable Modem Keeps Losing Connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kc27

Occasional Visitor
Spectrum is my internet provider. I use their modem, an ES2251 HW VER 1.3. My router is an Asus RT-AC88U running firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_48263

The modem only has two indicator lights on it one for power and one for online. For the past two weeks, every few days I lose my internet connection. The "online" light is lit blue indicating the modem is online, but I have no internet. I have to power cycle the modem to restore the connection.

The last time this happened, before power cycling the modem, I disconnected the router and from the modem and connected a laptop directly to the modem with an ethernet cable - the laptop had no internet connectivity. I am assuming the issue lies with Spectrum up to and including the modem, and that a router could not cause the modem to lose its connection. Is that a correct assumption?

I have used the Spectrum self-service support chat tool, and it has indicated that my area is not experiancing an outage when I have lost connectivity. Nothing has changed on my end equipment-wise. Spectrum, howver, recently increased the speed for Spectrum Internet from 300 Mbps to 400 Mbps I am thinking my modem is no longer compatible. I am going to take it to Spectrum and swap it out for another one. Does anyone have other ideas on how I shoudl proceed?

I disconnected the router and from the modem and connected a laptop directly to the modem with an ethernet cable - the laptop had no internet connectivity. I am assuming the issue lies with Spectrum up to and including the modem, and that a router could not cause the modem to lose its connection. Is that a correct assumption?
Your logic is sound.

If time permits, do that experiment again - with a twist....

When Internet goes off, connect your laptop again
  1. With the same cable
  2. With a different cable
  3. Restart your laptop
  4. Restart your modem
:)

I swapped modems at the Spectrum store. I got the same model, ES2251. This one is HW VER 1.4 vs the previous one that was HW VER 1.3. I am hoping this ends the once or twice a week dropped internet connections.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!