What's new

Turning radios off in AC68U firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MediaMan09

Regular Contributor
I am setting up the AC68U for the first time. All is going pretty well and I have Merlin 378.55 firmware install (first time using Merlin).

My initial testing/setup is simply using the AC68U as wired DCHP router. How do I turn the radios/wireless off in the firmware? I was looking for a Enable/Disable wireless or Enabae/Disable 2.4GHZ radio, etc. but cant find it.

Is the only way on the router itself via pushbutton to turn Wi-Fi off?

Ahhh, found it - Advanced/Professional. Yay. Had a good laugh at that - first time in and going to the Advanced/Professional section!

No problem. Hard to catch every word when scouring forums :)

Let me ask this. The reason I asked, is that I rarely need Wi-Fi in the room the router is in and I have access points for the rest of the house. So I'd like to keep the wifi off, and let the unit run cooler etc.

But, I can foresee an occasional use.

So if I enable the wi-fi the firmware, including SSID on etc, , and disable it on the switch, can I assume its essentially totally off, no radios and SSID broadcast, light off at the modem? Easy enough to test which I will do shortly. That would actually be the best of both worlds - ie 99% of the time its off, running cooler, and if ever want it on at a moments notice, I can turn it on at the switch.

MediaMan09,

That is exactly how it is supposed to work. Let us know what your testing discovers. ;)

Yup, its perfect. Off at the switch mirrors the disabling on the firmware and vice versa. Ideal.