What's new

TV can't see DNLA server via RT-86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yep - the TV settings comfirms I can connect via ethernet & WiFi to the router (gateway).
IP config information/DNS/gatewy all are displayed.

But actual apps & DNLA itself are failing to actualize that connectivity.
DLNA can present it's own problems above the usual networking ones so I'd ignore that for now. You say that you're still having problems with the TV apps like Amazon Video/Netflix/Vudu. Those apps only require a basic internet connection so if those don't work you've still got some fundamental network issue.

Can you ping the IP address of the TV from a PC on your network?

DLNA can present it's own problems above the usual networking ones so I'd ignore that for now. You say that you're still having problems with the TV apps like Amazon Video/Netflix/Vudu. Those apps only require a basic internet connection so if those don't work you've still got some fundamental network issue.

Can you ping the IP address of the TV from a PC on your network?

Pinged the TV from my PC - 4 packet sent & 4 received - no packet lost.
So it is confirming that there is a reliable signal coming from the TV to the PC.

Sidenote: noticed this oddness below since summer when all this came about after I switched from the 1900 to the 86U:

Ethernet connection in Windows networking adapter settings list one of my guest wireless SSID (c104k) below the 'Ethernet' designation - not sure if this tells us anything?

Ethernet adapter settings displays guest network 2.4K SSID.JPG

Also shows up near Network Icon in the lower right hand notification area even though I am ethernet connected:
Ethernet adapter settings displays guest network 2.4 SSID2.jpg

Last edited:
Can you post a screen shot of the Network Status page on the TV.

Also, what error messages are you getting from each of the apps (Amazon Video/Netflix/Vudu)? What about when you do a software update on the TV?

Thanks for that. Can you post the "Status details" page please. Also, what about the errors from the apps?

Thanks for that. Can you post the "Status details" page please. Also, what about the errors from the apps?

Ooops here is the status page:
IMG_20181230_162028.jpg

Apps (Netflix/Hulu/Prime Video) - have the same effect as the YouTube app demo I did above.
It would connect to the app's home page - stick around for 2-3 seconds - then kick me out of the app.

Thanks for to update.

I think the first thing I would do is change the DNS settings. It looks like you have set on the router's LAN - DHCP Server page a value of 1.1.1.1 for DNS Server 1? Change the settings on that page back to the defaults; DNS Server 1 & 2 = blank. Restart the TV so that it should now pick up 192.168.50.1 as the DNS server.

If it still doesn't work try setting the router's WAN DNS server to 8.8.8.8 as an experiment.

Ooops here is the status page:
View attachment 15659

Apps (Netflix/Hulu/Prime Video) - have the same effect as the YouTube app demo I did above.
It would connect to the app's home page - stick around for 2-3 seconds - then kick me out of the app.

I Googled "Viera ST60 apps not streaming" and found others having similar issues. Have you tried a reset to shipping conditions? Maybe it will clear cached data that is causing the issue.

OE

I Googled "Viera ST60 apps not streaming" and found others having similar issues. Have you tried a reset to shipping conditions? Maybe it will clear cached data that is causing the issue.
Yeah Google have been messing about with the YouTube app on some of the older model TVs. See here. A more reliable test might be Netflix or Prime, although he said the same thing happened with those.

thank OE, unfortunately - USA version says reset to factory default - it did not do anything as that was one of the first thing I tried.

It 'feels' like a TV issue. Could unplug it for an hour! :)

Maybe Panasonic Support can help.

Or plug in your own smart box. I'm skeptical of these new age consumer products with embedded third-party features. Sorry, I know this comment doesn't help you.

OE

It 'feels' like a TV issue. Could unplug it for an hour! :)

Maybe Panasonic Support can help.

Or plug in your own smart box. I'm skeptical of these new age consumer products with embedded third-party features. Sorry, I know this comment doesn't help you.

OE

Ha! Every little bit of feedback helps.

btw - Since this is a Plasma TV - I have no doubt Panasonic could care much about it!
No one picked up over the holiday.
That's why I am fraternizing with you kind folks!

Last edited:
Thanks for to update.

I think the first thing I would do is change the DNS settings. It looks like you have set on the router's LAN - DHCP Server page a value of 1.1.1.1 for DNS Server 1? Change the settings on that page back to the defaults; DNS Server 1 & 2 = blank. Restart the TV so that it should now pick up 192.168.50.1 as the DNS server.

If it still doesn't work try setting the router's WAN DNS server to 8.8.8.8 as an experiment.
Waiting for the ladies to finish their 'Notebook' movie on Netflix before I can do this....

<eyes rolling>

Thanks for to update.

Yeah you don't really want LAN clients doing external DNS lookups, you won't be able to resolve other local clients amongst other things. Even if this doesn't help, set your WAN DNS to 1.1.1.1 if you want but DHCP should be issuing the router's IP to LAN clients.

It'll be interesting to see if this helps. If I use DNSfilter globally I have to exempt the Nintendo Switches as they all but fail to function over the internet and in some cases won't function at all.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks for to update.

1) Set LAN DHCP to blank for both DNs1 & DNS2 = no improvement
DNS to Blank.JPG

2) Set WAN DNS1 to 8.8.8.8 = no improvement
WAN DNS to 8888.JPG

Rebooted the router from the ASUS web interface & reconnected the TV LAN connection also after each of these changes.

Tested with both Netflix, Amazon Prime Video & YouTube build in app on the ST60 TV & where it fails most of the time & disconnect is the start of the stream. DNLA continues to not be found.

Last edited:
Yeah you don't really want LAN clients doing external DNS lookups, you won't be able to resolve other local clients amongst other things. Even if this doesn't help, set your WAN DNS to 1.1.1.1 if you want but DHCP should be issuing the router's IP to LAN clients.

It'll be interesting to see if this helps. If I use DNSfilter globally I have to exempt the Nintendo Switches as they all but fail to function over the internet and in some cases won't function at all.

Can you explain what this means & if it is different from what Colin is posting?

Can you explain what this means & if it is different from what Colin is posting?
Same thing. If you clear out the LAN DNS options then it will automatically assign the router as the DHCP assigned DNS.

Currently the TV is querying a DNS server outside of your network that is unaware of locally assigned host names. This is possibly the issue. But also possibly not. Best practice though would be to set it as Colin has suggested.

View attachment 15661

2) Set WAN DNS1 to 8.8.8.8 = no improvement
View attachment 15662

Rebooted the router from the ASUS web interface & reconnected the TV LAN connection also after each of these changes.

Tested with both Netflix, Amazon Prime Video & YouTube build in app on the ST60 TV & where it fails most of the time & disconnect is the start of the stream. DNLA continues to not be found.
Just double check the TV is now obtaining the same IP for both gateway and DNS.

View attachment 15661
Both of those radio buttons should be set to No.

Do you have any other non-default settings, like DNSFilter? Any non-standard software installed on the router like ad-blockers?

Double-check your switches to make sure you're not running VLANs by mistake. Try a different switch port.

Both of those radio buttons should be set to No.

Done - no change in condition:

DNS Settings to No.JPG

Do you have any other non-default settings, like DNSFilter? Any non-standard software installed on the router like ad-blockers?
No additional software on the router & no DNS Filtering via merlin
DNS Filtering Off.JPG

Double-check your switches to make sure you're not running VLANs by mistake. Try a different switch port.
No VLAN. TV ethernet not on switch but directly into 86U port 4.
VLAN on Switch Disabled.JPG

VLAN on Switch Disabled2.JPG

Try a different switch port.

Did prior (swapped out network printer out onto switch & put TV LAN ethernet into its spot on router).
Will try onto other ports later tonight.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!