What's new

two ac66u no media bridge connection via 5ghz?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nuravi

New Around Here
[solved] two ac66u no media bridge connection via 5ghz?

hi all,

i bought two ac66u units and one is configured as a router with two equal configs for 5ghz and 2.4ghz band
hide ssid: no
wireless mode: auto - b/g protection disabled
channel: 20/40/80mhz
control channel: auto
authentication method: wpa-auto-personal
wpa encryption: tkip+aes
net key rotation interval: 3600

the second one is in media bridge mode both are around 8m away from each other separated by two wall's

the weird thing about this is the 2.4ghz band seems to work. the media bridge connects to the router and i can reach the router's network.
if i use the 5ghz band the media bridge can't connect.

my questions are:
1) using the 2.4ghz band for the media bridge<->router connection the bridge doesnt provide wlan over 2.4ghz any more - it only provides the unused 5ghz band. i assume the 2.4ghz is fully reserved to bridge<->router communication? is this supposed to be that way? nothing can connect to the bridge via the band used between the two boxes?

2) i tried a few encryption configurations and the only possible way to connect bridge<->router over 5ghz was "open system" - didnt try "shared key".
is it supposed to be that media bridge<->router can only connect unencrypted/badly encrypted using the 5ghz band?
is it valid to have "wpa auto personal" and "tkip+aes" encryption for media bridge 5ghz mode?

3) any tips on what could be wrong on my 5ghz config? one thing i could think of is maybe low signal strength - via 5ghz i have minimal signal strength, but it was working unencrypted

4) given my config is correct, can anyone recommend an external antenna for my ac66u? maybe its really a signal problem

thanks for your time

Last edited:
hi all,

i bought two ac66u units and one is configured as a router with two equal configs for 5ghz and 2.4ghz band
hide ssid: no
wireless mode: auto - b/g protection disabled
channel: 20/40/80mhz
control channel: auto
authentication method: wpa-auto-personal
wpa encryption: tkip+aes
net key rotation interval: 3600

the second one is in media bridge mode both are around 8m away from each other separated by two wall's

the weird thing about this is the 2.4ghz band seems to work. the media bridge connects to the router and i can reach the router's network.
if i use the 5ghz band the media bridge can't connect.

my questions are:
1) using the 2.4ghz band for the media bridge<->router connection the bridge doesnt provide wlan over 2.4ghz any more - it only provides the unused 5ghz band. i assume the 2.4ghz is fully reserved to bridge<->router communication? is this supposed to be that way? nothing can connect to the bridge via the band used between the two boxes?

2) i tried a few encryption configurations and the only possible way to connect bridge<->router over 5ghz was "open system" - didnt try "shared key".
is it supposed to be that media bridge<->router can only connect unencrypted/badly encrypted using the 5ghz band?
is it valid to have "wpa auto personal" and "tkip+aes" encryption for media bridge 5ghz mode?

3) any tips on what could be wrong on my 5ghz config? one thing i could think of is maybe low signal strength - via 5ghz i have minimal signal strength, but it was working unencrypted

4) given my config is correct, can anyone recommend an external antenna for my ac66u? maybe its really a signal problem

thanks for your time

There is a massive bug with the AUTO channel allocation at 5GHz. In the UK, channels above 48 are not allowed, yet the auto channel selects it anyway...but its not really working!

Try and manually set the channel to 48 and see if that cures it!

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!