What's new

Two Routers, One(?) Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

prettyflyforawifi

New Around Here
Hi all,

I don't know a lot about networking so I don't know what you would call a setup like this (see picture and description), but I would like to know if the following is possible.

Basically, wireless router #1 is connected to the modem and has many devices connected to it to access the internet. This router is turned off at night so the wireless network is inaccessible at night.

What I would like to do is setup a second router that will be on all the time (well, as much as possible) with a NAS attached to it. However, I want to be able to connect some of my devices to this new router, but still be able to access the internet on these devices without having to switch networks. Is there a way to connect wireless router #2 to wireless router #1 (wirelessly, since they will be located in separate locations) so I can access the internet when wireless router #1 is on, but still have access to the NAS when router #1 is either on or off? Also, I would like wireless router #2 to only be accessible to some devices while most other devices use router #1 as is the case now. Is this possible?

I'm not sure if I described this well, so please let me know if I need to give more information.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: See updated drawing in post number 8.

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
the devices in your diagram are very detailed lol; you want to put the second router into 'repeater' mode. this will be very suboptimal for devices on the first router streaming from the nas, but it will work. the router will of course require a 'repeater mode' or be able to flash a firmware with the capability

To be able to access the Internet from router 2 means that router 1 must be powered up 24/7. However many routers have a feature in the firmware where you can turn the radios off and on based on a preset schedule. If the router doesn't have this feature you can flash DD-WRT onto it.

However if you are going to set up router 2 as a wireless repeater then you can't shut down WiFi on router 1 and still have Internet connections.

Your best approach, and what most people on this site would recommend, is that you only use wireless repeaters as a last resort. The best and better solutions are as follows:

1. Connect the two router using an Ethernet cable.
2. Use MOCA and coaxial cable if you already have CATV connections near where you want router 1 & 2 to be.
3. Use Ethernet over powerline.

With this type of connection you can turn your WiFi off on router 1 at night and still have Internet connectivity on router/AP 2.

Trying to connect to a NAS using a wireless connection will result in slow file access and choke your WiFi connection for everyone else.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

A couple things I noticed I didn't explain well.

- I do not need to access the internet 24/7 and won't be able to since router #1 is off every night.
- A hard wired cord from router 1 to 2 isn't possible in this case.
- I do want to be able to access the NAS 24/7 (not internets) though which is ultimately the purpose behind seeing if this is possible.
- Devices that are on wireless router #1 do not need access to the NAS. They only need access to the internet when router #1 is on.

So basically at night, the right part of my diagram is the only part functional. During the day, the whole thing is up with the devices on router 2 automagically getting access to internets once router 1 is turned back on.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

A couple things I noticed I didn't explain well.

- I do not need to access the internet 24/7 and won't be able to since router #1 is off every night.
- A hard wired cord from router 1 to 2 isn't possible in this case.
- I do want to be able to access the NAS 24/7 (not internets) though which is ultimately the purpose behind seeing if this is possible.
- Devices that are on wireless router #1 do not need access to the NAS. They only need access to the internet when router #1 is on.

So basically at night, the right part of my diagram is the only part functional. During the day, the whole thing is up with the devices on router 2 automagically getting access to internets once router 1 is turned back on.

the problem with this is that you'll require DHCP running on the second router. otherwise powering off the primary router will likely disrupt clients from connecting on the second unless you anticipate statically configuring each host attached to the second.

[edit/] just noticed i repeated myself in the edit. still waking up, i guess

Last edited:
Set router 1 up to turn off WiFI in the evening.

Instead of a router use a switch for location 2.

Use powerline or MOCA connectivity between Router 1 and the switch. That way you will have DHCP functionality 24/7.

Depending on the firmware on Router 1 you may be able to block all Internet access at certain times.

If nothing else use parental controls (easy to defeat ) in an attempt to block Internet access in the evening.

Turning your router off while trying to keep

Set router 1 up to turn off WiFI in the evening.

Instead of a router use a switch for location 2.

Use powerline or MOCA connectivity between Router 1 and the switch. That way you will have DHCP functionality 24/7.

Depending on the firmware on Router 1 you may be able to block all Internet access at certain times.

If nothing else use parental controls (easy to defeat ) in an attempt to block Internet access in the evening.

Turning your router off while trying to keep

I will do a quick search to find out what MOCA connectivity and a switch will do.

One more thing to add, I am not trying to restrict access to the internet at any time, but it is a fact that router #1 (which is connected to the internet) is on a power strip that is turned off at night and I have no control over this.

I do have access to this router's settings, but I am not the one who decides whether or not to power it down at night.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!