What's new

Unable to access security cameras when connected with OpenVPN - Asuswrt - Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyboy019

New Around Here
I have successfully managed to configure my Asus RT-N66U to access HMA VPN using Merlins - Asuswrt firmware (Thanks Merlin for your superb work)

I do have a couple of issues which I don't seem to be able to overcome:

When connected via OpenVPN, I am unable to access my security cameras or remote onto the router via my dyndns address.

When the VPN is down, I can access both without issue. I have setup the port forwarding but I am stuck on what else I need to do! I have tried HMA's support but they seem to be less than helpful.

Would anyone have some ideas on what else I should configure as I am fresh out of ideas?

Many thanks in advance :confused:

Static ip

I have successfully managed to configure my Asus RT-N66U to access HMA VPN using Merlins - Asuswrt firmware (Thanks Merlin for your superb work)

I do have a couple of issues which I don't seem to be able to overcome:

When connected via OpenVPN, I am unable to access my security cameras or remote onto the router via my dyndns address.

When the VPN is down, I can access both without issue. I have setup the port forwarding but I am stuck on what else I need to do! I have tried HMA's support but they seem to be less than helpful.

Would anyone have some ideas on what else I should configure as I am fresh out of ideas?

Many thanks in advance :confused:

The problem could very well be that when you are using a VPN you are cloaking your identity so getting dyndns to work when HMA assigns you a random IP is going to be a challenge.

A simpler solution might be to use another VPN provider that provides you with a static IP. When I use OpenVPN with my VPN provider (StrongVPN) I get the same static IP every time I connect.

Another approach might be to run your HMA VPN on your ASUS, but put the ASUS in the AP mode with another router in front of it. Then connect the cameras to your primary router, your ASUS from a LAN port on the router to the WAN port on the ASUS.

Perhaps someone else can come up with suggestion on how to program your ASUS to do what you want without changing VPN providers or adding equipment.

Good luck!

The problem could very well be that when you are using a VPN you are cloaking your identity so getting dyndns to work when HMA assigns you a random IP is going to be a challenge.

A simpler solution might be to use another VPN provider that provides you with a static IP. When I use OpenVPN with my VPN provider (StrongVPN) I get the same static IP every time I connect.

Another approach might be to run your HMA VPN on your ASUS, but put the ASUS in the AP mode with another router in front of it. Then connect the cameras to your primary router, your ASUS from a LAN port on the router to the WAN port on the ASUS.

Perhaps someone else can come up with suggestion on how to program your ASUS to do what you want without changing VPN providers or adding equipment.

Good luck!
Hi CaptainSTX,

I have taken your advice and moved to StrongVPN although still can't get to cameras. Do I have to change any routing for the portforward to work via the vpn tunnel?

Thanks

Dns names ?

I noticed on mine I can no longer use DNS names they wont resolve..
but if I use LAN IP's instead it all works fine for me...
Hope this helps... It help mine...

Have a look at the difference between TAP and TUN in OpenVPN.

I cant quite remember which but one of them doesn't transfer broadcast and DNS traffic.