What's new

Unexpected behavior of /jffs/syslog.log

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ryandesign

Occasional Visitor
I'm using asuswrt merlin 382.1_2 on an ASUS RT-AC3100. During the configuration process I've often needed to check the syslog.log file. I was in /jffs editing my scripts and configs, found syslog.log there, and assumed that's where the router puts it. But I had trouble using it. "tail -f /jffs/syslog.log" did not work as I expected; the last lines of the log were shown, but new entries were not. Given all the other peculiarities of busybox, I assumed its "tail -f" was broken; this thread started out as a bug report about that. I also observed that the log often seemed to be delayed; I assumed the router was caching log entries in memory before writing them to the log.

Only now, months later, I've realized that the real syslog.log is actually in /tmp. "tail -f /tmp/syslog.log" works fine and entries show up there immediately. /tmp/syslog.log is apparently copied to /jffs/syslog.log once every minute. Presumably /tmp is a temporary ramdisk that's cleared on startup and the log is periodically copied to /jffs for archival purposes. Since the file is being replaced, that's why "tail -f /jffs/syslog.log" didn't work; "tail -F /jffs/syslog.log" does work, to the extent that it does show the minutes-worth of changes when the file is copied.

Now that I understand what's going on, it makes sense, and I will use /tmp/syslog.log for my live log inspection needs. I only wish I had understood it earlier.

Presumably /tmp is a temporary ramdisk that's cleared on startup and the log is periodically copied to /jffs for archival purposes.

That's correct. /tmp uses tmpfs, so it's located in RAM. This will also reduce the amount of nand rewrites in case of a very busy syslog, as it only gets copied to jffs from time to time. I can't remember the exact frequency.