What's new

unidentified network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bitzard

New Around Here
After the setup i decided to move the router when i plugged it back in all the devices could not connect to the router. the only way i could get back in wat to press the reset button on the back. But i noticed this happens all the time when the router is set up if it is ever rebooted or unpluged after a setup or after just being reset it cannot connect to anything again without being reset. It happens on both the factory and Merlin firmware.

Hi,
If you use Windows, tried ipconfig command? When it happens see the result of the command and then try the command with a switch /renew and see what happens.

The ipconfig command says this:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::54c7:6f81:4592:1e91%29
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.30.145
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

When I do ipconfig /renew it hangs and says "Windows IP Configuration" for like 3 mins then says this:

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to con
tact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

You aren't getting an IP address. Make sure DHCP is enabled on the router, and that it's set in Router mode.

DHCP is enabled but it was in media bridge mode. Turns out it won't give an ip when ever the router it connects to is too far or is turned off. So its supposed to just not give an ip in media bridge mode?

Also I found these things in the log should I be concerned?

Dec 31 12:00:08 kernel: Failed to execute /sbin/preinit. Attempting defaults...
Dec 31 12:00:08 kernel: br0: starting userspace STP failed, staring kernel STP

Last edited:
DHCP is enabled but it was in media bridge mode. Turns out it won't give an ip when ever the router it connects to is too far or is turned off. So its supposed to just not give an ip in media bridge mode?

Also I found these things in the log should I be concerned?

Dec 31 12:00:08 kernel: Failed to execute /sbin/preinit. Attempting defaults...
Dec 31 12:00:08 kernel: br0: starting userspace STP failed, staring kernel STP

That's normal.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!