What's new

Update home network (changing AC86U and AC68U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

atorcha

Occasional Visitor
Hello. I have an AC86U router in AIMESH mode with an AC68U node for my home Wi-Fi network. I have about 50 IOT / Homekit wifi devices at home, including mobile PCs, and so on. Given that the AC86U is nearing its end of life, what is the natural step to upgrade my home network?

I am interested in wireguard since I access my home NAS from VPN and I have all my phones with the router's VPN.

Maybe AX86Upro and AX86U as a node is a good option?
Or AX88U pro with AC86U ?

Do I have to forget AC Routers?

Thank you

Last edited:
if current setup is working for you I would recommend to wait a bit and moved to wi-fi7 (BE) solution

FINALLY, although I like the aesthetics of the AX86U better, I found a refurbished AX88U PRO for €211 in a components store in Spain.

I think it is a very good price, and with what I have read in the forum this model will have good long-term support.

I am going to buy it and I see that I need AIMESH I will look at another AX in the future.

On the other hand, considering that I have many two IOT devices at home, the VLAN can be of great help.

FINALLY, although I like the aesthetics of the AX86U better, I found a refurbished AX88U PRO for €211 in a components store in Spain.

I think it is a very good price, and with what I have read in the forum this model will have good long-term support.

I am going to buy it and I see that I need AIMESH I will look at another AX in the future.

On the other hand, considering that I have many two IOT devices at home, the VLAN can be of great help.

My new AX88U Pro is HW v3.10 (2023 Vietnam).

OE

I found a refurbished AX88U PRO

Make sure it comes with some warranty because there was a reason to return a fairly new model router. I know a few forum members had to RMA the same model router and get a replacement. Test thoroughly everything on it especially if it comes significantly cheaper than brand new.

Hello. I have an AC86U router in AIMESH mode with an AC68U node for my home Wi-Fi network. I have about 50 IOT / Homekit wifi devices at home, including mobile PCs, and so on. Given that the AC86U is nearing its end of life, what is the natural step to upgrade my home network?

I am interested in wireguard since I access my home NAS from VPN and I have all my phones with the router's VPN.

Maybe AX86Upro and AX86U as a node is a good option?
Or AX88U pro with AC86U ?

Do I have to forget AC Routers?

Thank you

Yes, forget AC-class routers. And most AX-class routers too.

Specs do not a router make. Nor a stable and performant network either.

Yes, forget AC-class routers. And most AX-class routers too.

Specs do not a router make. Nor a stable and performant network either.

If not the AC or AX routers what do you recommend these days? I have two AC1900P and one seems to be going belly up so I need to replace now. I can’t seem to find an 86U or 86S for new. I’m using a backhaul connection so no AImesh. Just AP mode on the second one. My main router is starting to fail so ideally I’d like to replace just that and keep the 1900P access point. But I’ll replace both if I have to. Besides the connection drops I’ve been happy with the performance of those routers. But don’t want to buy used or refurb.

Thanks!

If not the AC or AX routers what do you recommend these days? I have two AC1900P and one seems to be going belly up so I need to replace now. I can’t seem to find an 86U or 86S for new. I’m using a backhaul connection so no AImesh. Just AP mode on the second one. My main router is starting to fail so ideally I’d like to replace just that and keep the 1900P access point. But I’ll replace both if I have to. Besides the connection drops I’ve been happy with the performance of those routers. But don’t want to buy used or refurb.

Thanks!

If ASUS, the linked post still applies more or less... I'd favor a Pro model to run ASUSWRT 5.0 3.0.0.6.* firmware going forward. The AX88U Pro drops in and out of sale pricing... I'd shop for that model and expect it to have more effective coverage than the older AC1900 models.

OE

If ASUS, the linked post still applies more or less... I'd favor a Pro model to run ASUSWRT 5.0 3.0.0.6.* firmware going forward. The AX88U Pro drops in and out of sale pricing... I'd shop for that model and expect it to have more effective coverage than the older AC1900 models.

OE
Thank you. I see the 88U pro model is supported by Merlin. I might install that. Although at this point I’m not sure why I’d need that. I think I originally installed it so I could serve up a USB flash drive. I think stock firmware supports that now though.

Thank you. I see the 88U pro model is supported by Merlin. I might install that. Although at this point I’m not sure why I’d need that. I think I originally installed it so I could serve up a USB flash drive. I think stock firmware supports that now though.

I would not install third party firmware unless you absolutely need some feature it has... it just layers on more complexity, marketing, development, and testing bottlenecks/defects.

OE