What's new

Updated scMerlin to 2.5.5 - syslog stops at 'syslogd exiting'

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thecheapseats

What happened?...
System Log > System Messages stops displaying log messages... stops after "syslogd exiting"...
just started this morning after updating scMerlin 2.5.4 to 2.5.5
Anybody?...

hardware: RT-AX-86 (NOT PRO) - FW: 3004.388.7

For me the main system logs used to be prolific, but since the update maybe a couple of messages every hour. The Skynet log seems to be just as busy as ever though. Running scribe.

For me the main system logs used to be prolific, but since the update maybe a couple of messages every hour. The Skynet log seems to be just as busy as ever though. Running scribe.
ok...

so how do I get verbose syslog messges back - for anybody listening?...

also -my skynet-0.log - is dead as well..

If you’re running Scribe, it sounds like a Scribe issue that happened to coincide with the update of scMerlin.

If you’re running Scribe, it sounds like a Scribe issue that happened to coincide with the update of scMerlin.
uninstalled scribe and uiScribe...
reinstalled both...
all logs came back to life...

possibly the 2.5.5 update of scMerlin hammered scribe, et al...

don't have time to check that theory... all logs working now... go figure...
thanks for the clue @dave14305 ...

It's happened twice now. This second time after a rebuild 2 days ago. I left installing scMerlin until this afternoon (just after reading @thecheapseats post), because it was the original update (2.5.4 to 2.5.5) that screwed things up the first time. My intention was to diagnose, and I have. Something is screwy here.
Don't get me wrong, logging is still happening but sparcely -
Just
Code:
ripshod kernel: [tdts_shell_ioctl_stat:256] Recv ioctl req with op 2
errors and the usual dnsmasq crashes. I'd normally see spdMerlin messages when it fires every 15 minutes, but nothing since I installed scMerlin. There's a whole load of others missing but I'm not going to list them all.
Does anyone have a link for the 2.5.4?

Last edited:
uninstalled scribe and uiScribe...
reinstalled both...
all logs came back to life...
I missed that. I tried everything but reinstalling scribe. Had to reinstall scribe after scMerlin but everything is now working fine with 2.5.5.
Panic over. 👍

I missed that. I tried everything but reinstalling scribe. Had to reinstall scribe after scMerlin but everything is now working fine with 2.5.5.
Panic over. 👍
Had this happen with the Beta after the reboot, after about 30 minutes Skynet, SPDMerlin started working again, didn't make much out of it. But now someone else had something similar. Today after updating to 2.5.5. same thing, and I almost reinstalled Scribe/UIScribe. Instead I SSH'd in and restarted Scribe and then launched Skynet to show all log entires as the appeared, the Sktnet log cleared, then it started working and logging.

Been working fine since then....

Last edited:
Is there any issue for those of us not using scribe? (Was about to update to scMerlin 2.5.5, but haven’t yet…)

Thank you!

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!