What's new

Upgrade Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dezzo

Occasional Visitor
Just looking for some advice on something I've been thinking about for a couple weeks.

Basically, I'm sick of interference from all the wireless networks around me, slow wireless LAN speeds, etc.
Sometimes my wireless printer (far from router) refuses to communicate and I have to choose a different channel to make it happy - but then other devices slow down.

I was considering upgrading from an ASUS RT-N16 to a TP-Link C7 router with a TP-Link RE200 range extender at the opposite end of my apartment to strengthen the signal.

Then I read that the TP-Link doesn't support Jumbo Frames, which is apparently a bad thing.
Jumbo Frames aside (as I don't know how effective they actually are) would I see much benefit to upgrading to the stuff above?

The processing power of the TP-Link vs. ASUS router is apparently quite big, but would I notice it?

Would I be better off just keeping the RT-N16 and getting a range extender/repeater like the TL-WA850RE?
Isn't the Repeater the one that allows you to use a single SSID, whereas the Range Extender requires you to switch SSID's if you roam around?

Devices Connected:
2 Desktops
2 Laptops
2 Tablets
3 Smartphones
1 TV
2 Chromecasts
1 Roku

I only zeroed in on the TP-Link stuff since it's well priced and highly rated, but I'm still not sure.

The best thing you could do to escape interference is switch devices to 5 GHz, which should be much quieter. But 5 GHz signals don't go as far, so you'll need to add an extender or preferably an access point.

If you try an extender, it must be placed approximately MIDWAY between the main router and low signal area. An extender can only pass on the bandwidth it receives (actually 50% of it). So if it receives a weak signal, there won't be much bandwidth to extend.

If Ethernet isn't an option, try a pair of HomePlug AV2 adapters to get an Ethernet port to the other end of your apartment. Then install a second router converted to access point.

This article explains the approach

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basi...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNFID5xyZpxZ28_vFRQij-nMYZkVPQ

The processing power only matters for 2 things.
Bridging between wifi and wire for routers that do not have dedicated processors for their wifi.
Routing/NAT for internet.
Any other feature you use on the router.

The processing power difference that asus has for its ARM based routers and all tp-link routers are massive because tp-link in order to reduce cost use MIPS based CPUs and rely on minimal features and hardware acceleration. All recent consumer routers have hardware acceleration but hardware acceleration limits what you can do.

Many who buy tp-link rate it well because many users only use basic features. For anything more advanced tp-link does badly.