What's new

upgrade from ac86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pinkfloyd210

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

I am considering upgrading my ASUS AC86U router due to its lack of WireGuard support. Unfortunately, the selection of ASUS routers available in my country is quite limited, so I’m seeking advice on the best alternative.

RT-AX53U: This model may be somewhat dated, but it comes at an attractive price point and supports OpenWRT. I believe it also supports the latest Merlin firmware. However, my primary concern is whether it offers WireGuard support, as this is a crucial feature for me.

Asus TUF Gaming AX3000 v1: Priced at roughly twice that of the AX53U, this router is another option I’m considering.

RT-AX5400: Comparable in price to the TUF AX3000, the RT-AX5400 boasts superior Wi-Fi speeds. My concern with this model is whether it is compatible with Merlin firmware. I came across a discussion which seems to suggest that support might be forthcoming, but I am not certain if it pertains to the RT-AX5400.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or recommendations regarding these models, particularly concerning their support for WireGuard and compatibility with Merlin firmware.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Last edited:
If compatibility with Merlin firmware what you want, simply check the AX routers mentioned at https://asuswrt-merlin.net/

Figure out what best fits your price/preformance ratio.

If you can afford it, maybe AX86U Pro or simular.

Regards

I am considering upgrading my ASUS AC86U router due to its lack of WireGuard support.

RT-AC86U does have WireGuard support via Asuswrt-Merlin custom firmware and WireGuard Session Manager custom script.

The router models you are looking at actually have slower CPU than your old RT-AC86U. If it works well - just continue using it.

Asuswrt-Merlin firmware for RT-AC86U:

WireGuard Session Managed in AMTM:

RT-AC86U does have WireGuard support via Asuswrt-Merlin custom firmware and WireGuard Session Manager custom script.
I've been using this same configuration in both my RT-AX86U and my RT-AC86U for the last few years.

It is possible and advisable.

Greetings.

I would wait for wi-fi 7 technology to get matured and then change router as you can use one for 10years.
good point

The router models you are looking at actually have slower CPU than your old RT-AC86U. If it works well - just continue using it.

Asuswrt-Merlin firmware for RT-AC86U:

WireGuard Session Managed in AMTM:
oh I didn't know I will try it
I appreciate it. I believe it will fix my problem.🙏