What's new

Upgrading from 380.59_0 to 380.70_0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dingus

New Around Here
Since the update gap is soo huge should I try updating it in small increments?
Or will it simply not matter and I shouldn't worry about a possible brick issue...

I'm concerned because according to the update logs https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/blob/master/Changelog.txt line 676 (Current) Then 639 380.60 Beta 2 (5-July-2016)

IMPORTANT: The firmware image file format was changed by Asus.
Starting with 380.60, you will no longer be able to
flash versions older than 380.60, or Asus versions
older than 3.0.0.4.380_3000.
You can currently downgrade by using Firmware Recovery
mode, but there's no guarantee that this will keep working in the future.

This update change concerns me since the format changed in this update going from 59 to 70 will certainly brick it right?

And this change here line 194
380.67 (16-July-2017)
- NEW: Merged with GPL 380_7743 code, with binary blobs from
7378 for N66U
Also concerns me...

How big of a jump should I go at a time to get my router up to date? I've manually patched some things myself over the years but I've been out of the Merlin update loop for too long and just want a few opinions on the best way to go about updating my routers firmware as it's quite outdated now...

I have the RT-AC66U Asus router and no it's not the A or B model its the one that first came out...

Last edited:
If you compare with RT-AC68U asus deleted ALL firmwares, only last 3 from this year could be downloaded.
So everybody who bought these routers in 21013 with still original 5 years old firmware on it and want to upgrade now will have to use latest ones.
Merlin uses asuswrt as body, so should be fine.

Only you should make a firmware factory reset better before and at least after update!

Okay but I'm not running the stock Asus firmware
I currently am running the Asus-Merlin Firmware version 380.59_0
I'd like to update to the latest Asus-merlin firmware which is 380.70_0 (Also known as Legacy which is no longer being supported/phased out)

But because of the major update gap, I am concerned it will brick my router if not done in increments.

I also Don't Own a RT-AC68U.... I own a RT-AC66U the original one.
Hopefully, that clears up any confusion...

@RMerlin Sorry for the bother I know you are busy... I'm hoping you can answer my question regarding if I should update in increments or if it'll be okay going straight to 380.70_0

https://ibb.co/cRdG48 (Router Image) Yes this is my heavily modified router had some temp issues so I fixed that with an increase in clock speed...

Last edited:
You can update to 380.70. Virtually impossible to brick these routers.

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/FAQ

Q: Is there a risk of bricking my router with this firmware?

A: Virtually none. The firmware update does not touch the CFE/Bootloader, so you will always be able to enter Recovery Mode to reflash any firmware if anything went wrong with flashing.

Go directly to 380.70, but be prepared to do a factory default reset after upgrading if anything fails to work properly.