What's new

Current plans regarding separate version branches

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Those updates are not for you, it's for them...

Google pushes updates to my Google Nest Wifi Pro router + mesh devices... for years. No issues.

Android advises there is an update - could be GMS updates, or a full OS - it's not a automatic push.

That being said - we've had a couple of Android updates that have impacted devices on the Pixel phones, to the point where the devices would boot-loop into infinity and beyond...

I have no issues with a firmware push, as long as the end-user is advised that the update is available, and a high-level description of what the changes are...

Android advises there is an update - could be GMS updates, or a full OS - it's not a automatic push.
That's factually incorrect... when you don't acknowledge the update, it will automatically install and ask you to reboot.

That being said - we've had a couple of Android updates that have impacted devices on the Pixel phones, to the point where the devices would boot-loop into infinity and beyond...
As a Pixel owner since the very first Pixel was released and every version after, I have never experienced that. Nor have have of the people I've known with similar phones.

I have no issues with a firmware push, as long as the end-user is advised that the update is available, and a high-level description of what the changes are...
End-user updates are important... but do you really think the average joe-user sitting at home, binging netflix, eating chips, having zero clues about the seven layers of the OSI model are going to care about an automatic router firmware update that will keep their router stable, safe, secure and functioning optimally?

I don't think it is fair for you to belittle my issues with Asus as some irrational "bone to pick" when I have stated very clearly what the issue is. Nor does the whataboutism with other supposed bad actors in the space make my arguments carry any less weight. So if you have a problem with my argument that it is bad for Asus to finish off a verifiably atrocious FW history by not fixing problems with basic functionality in what they have now decided should be the last AC86U GPL, then please address the arguments themselves.
You've had your say...move on, or complain to ASUS?

Last edited:
What is a router? Do you mean the modem, the Wifi box, the Internet?
The box thing that controls the wifi internets! You know!

Aha, the Bell box... I know where it is. What are you saying it needs? YouTube and TikTok both working fine here. And I eat mostly popcorn.

Aha, the Bell box... I know where it is. What are you saying it needs? YouTube and TikTok both working fine here.
I know what it needs. A new private WAN IP that you can't figure out so my browsing stays safe!

Last edited:
No kidding, but this is what average consumer knows. If you say "the router" - may not understand. Try "the modem" - better chance.

If you need any assistance with 3006_102 when a compilable GPL is available, you have my email. I'd gladly help with at least the GT-AXE16000 builds

Thank you for the update and details Merlin. Your work has always been appreciated by the masses of this forum (and other who don’t know they’re running your firmware!)

If you should ever give up this project, I’ll give up the internet. 🤣

That's factually incorrect... when you don't acknowledge the update, it will automatically install and ask you to reboot.

Interesting - never have seen this happen with my Android test devices...

As a Pixel owner since the very first Pixel was released and every version after, I have never experienced that. Nor have have of the people I've known with similar phones.

Maybe with your Pixel devices, but I've had this happen directly twice with a Pixel 7 running the stock firmware - both times were file permissions issues on a device that was not rooted...

Maybe I'm a one-off, but this is something that hit the blog-o-sphere in a big way...

End-user updates are important... but do you really think the average joe-user sitting at home, binging netflix, eating chips, having zero clues about the seven layers of the OSI model are going to care about an automatic router firmware update that will keep their router stable, safe, secure and functioning optimally?

I don't think Joe Six-Pack really cares, not his job to worry abou tit - but at the same time, Joe is likely using a carrier provided Gateway that is managed by the operator, and they'll push out updates across their fleet in the middle of the night - Maint Windows are when this is generally done.

Things have changed quite a bit - the Carrier Gateways are the norm these days - I see this on my semi-regular recon drives around the neighborhood...

My thoughts - this is a dying business - consumer routers and modems - people might not like it, but it is what it is, and even there, on the CPE side, it's going through a period of consolidation.

Folks might not like it, but it is what it is...

when I installed Merlin firmware on my new ac68 many years ago, I found out that I don't want anything else 😀 even though I used openwrt more until then .. finally switched to Merlin for good .. and it led to the purchase of several Asus routers on which all of them then Merlin ran, I know that after so many years it won't be easy to constantly work on this firmware, but it makes sense! and it brings freedom to this area .. thank you very much and fingers crossed for good work 🙂

I started with Linksys (advised as Cisco Routers), but progressively moved to Asus. Used merlin on my AC86U and find it stable with timely updates, and now upgrade to AX6000 extend to Aimesh. Nothing major so far, thanks to @RMerlin took the effort and time to make the firmware update-friendly. Whether to move forward with the next branches I placed my trust with @RMerlin

@RMerlin Thank you for your ongoing support. I personally feel I've been spoiled by the over 10 years of support of AC68U, but reading this post it seems time has come to move on.

My question: with your inside into CPUs, SDKs and Codebases - is there any indication of what router one could expect to have a longer lifecycle than others?

Unfortunately, all AC-class models EoL now plus one more early AX-class model:

RT-AC68U and variants
RT-AC86U
GT-AC2900
RT-AX68U

That means 3.0.0.4.388_24646 (released 2024/02/26) is the last ASUS firmware release for AX68U?

My question: with your inside into CPUs, SDKs and Codebases - is there any indication of what router one could expect to have a longer lifecycle than others?
They usually provided longer support for higher end models, but I can't tell which particular model would be more likely than the other, or for how long.

That means 3.0.0.4.388_24646 (released 2024/02/26) is the last ASUS firmware release for AX68U?

This is what EoL usually means unless there is no emergency fix needed. Some models got fixes in the past after EoL date.