What's new

Upgrading from Linksys E2500

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

billyk

Occasional Visitor
I purchased a Linksys e2500 back in 2011 and have always found the wireless performance and range to be somewhat disappointing. I recently updated the firmware and placed the e2500 in a more central location, which has helped a bit.

I know that every environment is different, but the best I can get wirelessly via the e2500 from my Comcast 100mbs connection is 20-30mbs (I get 100mbs when wired directly to e2500) when standing about 10 feet away in the same room.

If I purchase something like the Asus RT-N66U, will I likely see more of that 100mbs that's delivered from my modem with possibly more range? Or is it likely that the e2500 is giving me most of what I can expect from any other wireless router?

I don't want to spend the money just to get the same or near the same performance and range as the e2500.

Any insights would be appreciated.
-bk

I purchased a Linksys e2500 back in 2011 and have always found the wireless performance and range to be somewhat disappointing. I recently updated the firmware and placed the e2500 in a more central location, which has helped a bit.

I know that every environment is different, but the best I can get wirelessly via the e2500 from my Comcast 100mbs connection is 20-30mbs (I get 100mbs when wired directly to e2500) when standing about 10 feet away in the same room.

If I purchase something like the Asus RT-N66U, will I likely see more of that 100mbs that's delivered from my modem with possibly more range? Or is it likely that the e2500 is giving me most of what I can expect from any other wireless router?

I don't want to spend the money just to get the same or near the same performance and range as the e2500.

Any insights would be appreciated.
-bk

the limitation of your wifi speeds is simply that your current router is limited to 300M sync speeds and thus just wont do full 100M speeds , this also includes the wireless adapter in your client device as it may also be only 300M , updating to the rt-n66u wont give you any increase unless you also have 450M client adapters

if your clients are only 150M or 300M then a new router is not going to achieve anything as the client devices will still limit the throughput ,

to achieve close to your wan to lan speeds over wifi you will need both a wireless AC router like the asus rt-ac66u or asus rt-ac68u , plus at least 2 x 2 wireless AC adapters in your client devices

pete

Thanks for the education Pete!

I am using an old Dell laptop (like 8 years old) at home and I bet it's got a limited bandwidth adapter, therefore the 20-30mbs makes sense. I have a Chromebook coming tomorrow, and I've combed through the specs and I don't see the speed of the wireless adapter.

My son has a newer Sony laptop and when we checked, he's getting 40+mps off of my e2500 - so client adapter speed is key - as you said. Not sure how I can determine the speed of his adapter or the one on the inbound Chromebook.

Given all this, if my son's machine has a 450m adapter, and if I were to buy the newer Asus RT-N66U using my 100mbs Comcast feed, what speeds would he be seeing?

Wireless overhead and error protection limits all actual WiFi speed in a typical environment to 50 - 55% of whatever speed Windows is showing. In a controlled lab or interference free environment, it can go up to 70 - 75%.

You should be able to max out your 100 Mbps easily with 450 Mbps client. You can even get 225 Mbps of actual transfer speed (50% of 450 Mbps that Windows is reporting) on a close, line of sight range.

If you want the 100 Mbps actual transfer rate at moderate distances (not long range due to the nature of 5 GHz band), you have to have AC WiFi since it can transfer 250 Mbps of actual speed at 25 feet away from router with 3 3/4 feet of walls and a closet full of boxes, giving only 2 bars of signal strength:

This is on a 2x2 stream laptop WiFi with 867 Mbps max connection rate (reported by Windows and not actual transfer speed)

14377798102_986ef2077a_o_d.jpg