What's new

upgrading from rt n66u?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shidoshi

New Around Here
as title
i have a asus rt n66u, ive had it since 2012.
but im interested in the asus rt ac5300.

my question is apart from the wireless range etc what other benefits would i get,
ie security and other things they may have added to the device.

my router is 4 years old surely its worth upgrading to the new router?
i have alot of devices in the house and everyone is connected pretty much 24/7.
and i get buffering now and again with my router at present.

any help would be greatfull and the benefits to upgrading and why.
thanks again

my router is 4 years old surely its worth upgrading to the new router?

that depends on what your expectations are for a new router , your current n66u is pretty good so dont expect much in the wifi coverage area

what other benefits would i get,
ie security and other things they may have added to the device.

its got a nice gamers feature which is good if you game and some nice traffic analyzer graphics

the thing with asus it tends to bring all its router up to the same spec esp in its ac routers so the features are quite similar across the board

do you need a ac5300 , if you have many wireless AC clients maybe and by many prob more than 10 as then you can spread them across the two 5 gig transmissions

if most of your devices are 2.4 gig or not wireless AC the 5300 prob wont give you any benefit over the cheaper rt-ac88u which just has 1 less 5 gig transmission but has 8 ethernet ports

do you need ether of the above ? prob not but its your money

i actually dont mind the asus rt-ac3200 value for money wise and of course the rt-ac68u

and i get buffering now and again with my router at present.

now what and where are you streaming from as that sounds more like congestion that a router issue

now what and where are you streaming from as that sounds more like congestion that a router issue
from like youtube or twitch.tv

if most of your devices are 2.4 gig or not wireless AC the 5300
i only have 2 AC devices iphone 6 and samsung s6. but i have about 15 2.4gig devices and about 5 5.4gig devices
i am a heavy gamer with a few consoles in the house.

thanks so much for the message.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online