What's new

Upgrading to N and gigabit, this is my setup. What would you get?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Glen_S

New Around Here
My network setup:

• WRT54GL running dd-wrt v23sp2 as main router/AP connected to ISP
  • WRT54GS running dd-wrt v24 sp1 used as bridge-repeater, hooked up to kids pc
  • 2 laptops that are G clients
  • 2 linksys network cams that are G clients
  • Nintendo wii G client (used little in this capacity, kids watching youtube etc)
  • WD 1TB Mybook World edition wired to WRT54GL
  • #1 Netgear 5 port gigabit switch downstream from WRT54GL (hooked up to main PC and one other)
  • #2 Netgear 5 port gigabit switch downstream from first switch
  • Asus o!play and WDTV Live media players downstream from #2 Netgear

My wife just got a work laptop that is wireless N, and I may be getting another Asus media player that is also N capable. All my NIC's are gigabit capable so I want to upgrade to both N and G and am deciding which router is best way to go. I like dd-wrt and the extra options it offers, currently also running it on another WRT54GL and a Buffalo WHR54 for outside customers, both are rock-solid.

I was seriously looking at the Linksys WRT610N and its dual band etc, but reading the sticky on it over at the dd-wrt board is kind of scaring me off. I do like its capacity, samba/external drive and dual band feature though. I am thinking about perhaps the WRT310N and seeing if I can use it exclusively for N clients and using my existing WRT54xx routers for existing G clients.

I like to tinker around with things like dd-wrt, but I am by no means a network expert and more or less like to set a router up and forget about it. I don't want to spend hours experimenting with different builds etc., but I do want the extra features firmware like dd-wrt and others offers.

I am happy with Linksys, but will consider any make out there that gives me solid performance and reliability.

So I am asking the more knowledgeable on this board the following: if you had a setup like mine, what router would you upgrade to to get wireless N and gigabit speeds?

I'm in a similar situation....

I'm currently using an Asus WL-500GPv2 with Tomato firmware. Everything works perfectly, the problem is I need to add fast N-Wireless as I've started to do backups over Wifi (Apple Time Machine) from two MacBook Pros to a QNAP TS-239 Pro II NAS. All wired devices are connected to a gigabit switch which is then connected to the WL-500GPv2.

I see my options as:

1. Replace existing router with a Tomato-compatible one that has N wireless, (although my understanding is you may only be able to get 150 speeds with that firmware) such as Asus RT-N16 or Netgear WNDR3700 and run Tomato on that. Only problem is these are pretty expensive, and as I now have a QNAP NAS, I don't actually need the torrent, USB, file-sharing etc functions to run on the router.

2. Buy an Asus RT-N13 or EnGenius ESR9850 and use it only as an access point, which according to the SNB review has faster wifi than the RT-N16. The RT-N13 is less than half the price of the RT-N16, and the other advantage of using a separate access point is I can keep G devices on the WL-500GPv2 and put only N devices on the new access point.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how best to add *fast* N wireless to my network at relatively low cost? I'm happy with my current router, I just need the fastest N wireless at the minimum cost...

Thanks,

Ben

What are the DD-WRT "must have" features? Requiring support for alternative firmware narrows down your selection a lot.

You're not going to be happy with wireless back-ups even using N.
If you're in the same room (where you'd be better off using a cable), best using 40 MHz mode you'll get 100 Mbps or 12.5 MB/s.

Thanks for the replies Tim...

The router runs as an OpenVPN server giving me superb remote-access to my LAN which I am very happy with, plus great QoS, and generally just a great easy-to-use but full-featured interface... I use Tomato not DD-WRT, but that's beside the point.

I realise it limits my hardware, that's why I was looking at adding an access point (whether it be a real AP or actually a router used solely as an AP). I should clarify if I went down this path, I do NOT require the AP to run other firmware, as all routing (and G wireless) would continue to be done by my WL-500GPv2. It just needs to be a fast, "dumb", cheap AP.

It'd mostly be in the same room, and I have a cable already, but I move around a lot and the backup runs hourly, but it's an incremental one so the transfer each time isn't too bad. I realise I'd be looking at something like 12.5 MB/s, I'm fine with that - with my G I only get 3 MB/s.

So assuming I keep my 2.4Ghz G devices on the existing router (i.e. not needing simultaneous dual-band), and I only need it as an N access point for N devices, what's the fastest/best-value option you think? The RT-N13 seemed pretty good for that...

Thanks...

Last edited:
Go to the DD-WRT forums first before you shell out dough on the routers you want. DD-WRT doesn't play nice with 802.11n. Remember just going enabled disabled features that the stock firmware doesn't allow. TX/RX seems them to generate more errors in DD-WRT. I can't speak for Tomato I had only used it twice with a Buffalo Wireless 802.11g router I didn't like the results. I did have WZR2-300N from Buffalo back in late 2007. To me one of the best ones they had made cost me $160 for two at CC. Firmware was awful not even the Senior CS could figure out the issue. That unit had Marvel 500MHz MCU, 8 Flash and I think it was 32MB or 16MB of RAM. Wasn't gig ports but the wireless was so strong for N no matter where I was it was strong. The only issue with that it had dropped WAN and LAN like a dime every 30 seconds. I had purchased two because one for AP and one for DHCP. Both of them had the same issue. Ended up getting my money back.

Netgear N with DD-WRT was a nightmare I don't know how the WDR3700 would be or if it's supported.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!