What's new

Upgrading WRT54GL+wl-520gu with WRT400N+WET610N

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bigpow

Occasional Visitor
I've been running this setup for a few years, both WRT54GL & wl-520gu run DD-WRT. WRT54GL as wifi-router, LAN: file server & WAN: DSL (upstairs) and wl-520gu as wifi-bridge, LAN: HTPC, Xbox360, PS3 (downstairs).

The distance between these two devices isn't very far, but because of upstairs vs downstairs, I had some problem getting decent signal strength even at 802.11g level.
I fixed this problem by boosting the Tx power level on both devices and by adding homemade antenna reflector. With this, I can have constant 20Mbps across the network.

Now that I'm planning to get HD players like WDTV2, I'm looking to go 802.11n and the 5GHz band.
On top of that, I'm also going to get a dedicated homeserver, connected to the wifi-router, and plan to store all my media files there.

I understand that the WET610N only has one 10/100 LAN port, but from reading briefly, I heard people have been able to add a switch to the port.

I already tested, and with my current "almost" constant throughput of 20Mbps 802.11g network, I was able to stream 720p contents just fine. 1080p, on the otherhand, was quite unsuccessful.

I was hoping that by moving up to 5GHz, I'd solve the bandwidth issue for streaming. However, I've doubts about my distance issue, again, from reading around, looks like going to 802.11n and 5GHz, the range is actually shorter than the 802.11g?

Please provide some clarifications. Also, any suggestions and ideas would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The higher a radio frequency, the higher signal attenuation when passing through objects that have water in them. Every N router I have tested cannot reach as far when using the 5 GHz band than when using 2.4 GHz.

But if you look at the Wireless Charts and use the Performance Table view, you'll see that 5 GHz band throughput is comparable to 2.4 GHz, even in the borderline test location D. So it's possible that with only a ceiling to go through that you might luck out with 5 GHz.

Be aware, however, that throughput from 802.11n routers is much less stable than 11g routers. So you'll get higher throughput than you will with 11g. But it will usually have big 1-2 second dropouts that may glitch even 720p streams.

Thanks Tim.

I'm really tempted to upgrade my network since it's an ancient one - but the new technology doesn't sound too convincing esp. if the only advantage (5GHz) has actually less range and/or stability.

I'm also on the fence because these new products all have internal antennas (which I would have a hard time directing with DIY reflector).

5 GHz also has less interference from neighboring networks and more non-overlapping channels.

Look at the D-Links if you want external antennas.

Hmm, just checked and confirmed my suspicion: the DIY antenna reflector works only with 2.4GHz band. Any idea what would happen if such reflector is used on 5GHz band?
Higher frequency means smaller antenna, correct?

Hmm, just checked and confirmed my suspicion: the DIY antenna reflector works only with 2.4GHz band. Any idea what would happen if such reflector is used on 5GHz band?
You would need to play with the spacing of the back of the reflector from the antenna.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online