What's new

USB drive perms/access missing after 374.41 install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seems that way . . . Mine definately didnt't like it ;)

I just tried formatting my 2TB WD Passport to ext4 and the router would recognize the drive but not mount it. When I check the system log, it says that it "couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240)".

Ext3 mounts with no issues.

Very interesting, GoNzo says he is using ext4 without any issues....

I'll partition / format on Linux then see if will mount before I toss data on it.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The Linux that is running on the router appears to be a very paired down version. Wonder if that's the issue...??

Well, I had a change of heart and plans. Rather than go through the trial and error of getting the drives working, I bought a Synology NAS. I'll just plug it into a port on the router and call it good.

Thanks again for everyone's assist! I do appreciate it.

I just tried formatting my 2TB WD Passport to ext4 and the router would recognize the drive but not mount it. When I check the system log, it says that it "couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (240)".

Ext3 mounts with no issues.

ext4 is only supported on the newer ARM devices: AC56 and AC68.

I have my USB flash drives formatted as EXT2 as there is no extra writing due to journalling and IIRC, NTFS is read only. I like write to my drive in the N66U.

NTFS is read write, but it's been said to work best with up to 1TB drives and I've not had any real issues with mine over SAMBA on the N66U.

ext4 is only supported on the newer ARM devices: AC56 and AC68.
Ya thanks . . . I found an older reply from you in another thread. All this fiddling with the super slow USB drives has me thinking NAS too.

some bugs

For me this purchase of RT-AC68U was all about NAS functionality and performance. This release is quite stable but here go few concerns I have:

1. Tried for the first time HDD spin down property. Set it to 600 sec. HDD had stopped spinning. Good! Did not want to start spinning again(tried to revive it with few different clients windows and android) until reboot. Is it expected behavior?
2. Here is an interesting thing about the reboot. I used the "REBOOT" button from the UI. As expected progress counter started and finished. UI came back. The problem is that I have not seen router lights turning off. Checked Tools UI/Info for the device up time and it did not zero down. In short clicking UI REBOOT does not result in reboot at least sometimes.

Thanks
Eugene

P.S. I would love to see the same release but build with original libraries.

For me this purchase of RT-AC68U was all about NAS functionality and performance. This release is quite stable but here go few concerns I have:

1. Tried for the first time HDD spin down property. Set it to 600 sec. HDD had stopped spinning. Good! Did not want to start spinning again(tried to revive it with few different clients windows and android) until reboot. Is it expected behavior?
2. Here is an interesting thing about the reboot. I used the "REBOOT" button from the UI. As expected progress counter started and finished. UI came back. The problem is that I have not seen router lights turning off. Checked Tools UI/Info for the device up time and it did not zero down. In short clicking UI REBOOT does not result in reboot at least sometimes.

Thanks
Eugene

Most likely your USB enclosure does not properly support the spindown command. Not every enclosure does.

What original libraries?

Most likely your USB enclosure does not properly support the spindown command. Not every enclosure does.

You mean that enclosure might support spinning down but not spinning back up? Because mine did stop spinning. What is your opinion on the usefulness of this feature? Opinions on the Internet are very variable.

What original libraries?

The "readme" file says that some libraries were replaced with newer versions. I would be interested to see a build with no such update that uses same set of libraries as ASUS build 374.5047 does.

What original libraries?

Could that time entry effect the printer connected too?

Thanks
Eugene

His has happened to me as well

other NAS related concerns

I apologize if these should not be exactly here because are not directly related to the build made by Merlin but rather core functionality Merlin build is based on. And these not critical issues are there for a long time:

1. Samba is running in GUEST mode. Attached HARD DRIVE has a label. In my case label is "STORAGE". In the Asus UI console I see content of the HDD(well enclosure with RAID ONE) as "RAID ONE"/STORAGE/folders. Windows has mapped drive that is mapped as "\\ASUS IP\STORAGE".
Now try to disable GUEST mode. Then for some reason "STORAGE" part is gone from the equation. All it takes is just "\\ASUS IP" to access content. Mapping is broken.
2. Tried to create "reader" account for read only access. This part worked well from UI. The problem was that I could not connect to my drive from Windows 7 machine. Windows asked for login and password I provided it with "reader"\"reader" in my case but Samba rejected the attempt. The interesting part is that "admin"\"password" account did not work either. There is no way to access the SHARED data anymore though share drive is there and is seen by Windows 7(it is asking to provide permissions).

Last edited:
The "readme" file says that some libraries were replaced with newer versions. I would be interested to see a build with no such update that uses same set of libraries as ASUS build 374.5047 does.

I updated Busybox because the version used by Asus is old and had various issues. I updated miniupnpd because this is a security-sensitive component. And I updated OpenSSL because Asus's version isn't up-to-date, and this is both a security-sensitive and performance-limiting component.

None of these have anything to do with USB sharing.

The rest is the same version as used by Asus.

I updated Busybox because the version used by Asus is old and had various issues. I updated miniupnpd because this is a security-sensitive component. And I updated OpenSSL because Asus's version isn't up-to-date, and this is both a security-sensitive and performance-limiting component.

None of these have anything to do with USB sharing.

The rest is the same version as used by Asus.

I think I saw that you mentioned that they (Asus) were adding or working on USB modems and updated those, was there any other changes to the USB scripts that were changed/updated on Asus's end?

BTW I just wanted to say thank you for doing all the work you are doing for us. This router wouldn't be as awesome as it is with out people like you. THANKS!

1. Samba is running in GUEST mode. Attached HARD DRIVE has a label. In my case label is "STORAGE". In the Asus UI console I see content of the HDD(well enclosure with RAID ONE) as "RAID ONE"/STORAGE/folders. Windows has mapped drive that is mapped as "\\ASUS IP\STORAGE".
Now try to disable GUEST mode. Then for some reason "STORAGE" part is gone from the equation. All it takes is just "\\ASUS IP" to access content. Mapping is broken.
2. Tried to create "reader" account for read only access. This part worked well from UI. The problem was that I could not connect to my drive from Windows 7 machine. Windows asked for login and password I provided it with "reader"\"reader" in my case but Samba rejected the attempt. The interesting part is that "admin"\"password" account did not work either. There is no way to access the SHARED data anymore though share drive is there and is seen by Windows 7(it is asking to provide permissions).
1. Yes, that's just the way it works. Conceptually, you have changed from sharing the whole disk (STORAGE) to sharing individual folders on that disk.

Last edited:
I think I saw that you mentioned that they (Asus) were adding or working on USB modems and updated those, was there any other changes to the USB scripts that were changed/updated on Asus's end?

In addition to changes to the script, 5047 also had changes to the rc code (no idea about 5417, no source code available at this time), and a new kernel module to support new devices. So it's more involved than just the main connection script.

Update time. I connected the Synology NAS to the rt-ac68u, connected the 3TB ext3 USB drive to the NAS, and then copied over the files to the NAS. I then reformatted the 3TB drive to ext4, with the NAS, unmounted it from the NAS and plugged it into the USB 3 poet of the router. And the same issue as I first reported.

So, same drive, two different disk formats,(ext3, ext4) on 2 different systems (Linux, NAS) and the router GUI can't work with the drive.

Sure feels like a bug to me.....