What's new

USB drive perms/access missing after 374.41 install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Update yet again:

I plugged in the 3TB drive into the USB3 port, ssh'd into the router and checked that it was mounted , which it was. I then ejected the drive through the router GUI and confirmed via ssh it was unmounted. So I then did an e2fsck on the drive and it showed a partition problem on sdb1.

Great! Now something tangible to work with. I ran mkfs.ext4 against that partition and about 20 min later, I ran e2sck again and it was clean.

Leaving the drive plugged I'm, I power cycled the router and when it came up, the router GUI ahowed the drive attached, which I again confirmed through ssh.

However, when I went to the samba tab in the router GUI, same original issue. I couldn't create a folder through the GUI. I created a folder via ssh, and after opening the other attaches drive, in the GUI, I open sdb1 and the folder was there. But the perms line was just a continuous line of dashes....no way to change the perms.

Soooop, I'm about diagnosed out at this point. It seems to me that there is a bug in the router firmware or perhaps some issue with the routers USB3 port.

Any ideas...????

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Have two drive, first drive with entware install ( sda5 ) , second with Data ( sdd5 ).
With first drive i haven't problem with permission ( can change from GUI ) , but with second ... problem.

Have two drive, first drive with entware install ( sda5 ) , second with Data ( sdd5 ).
With first drive i haven't problem with permission ( can change from GUI ) , but with second ... problem.

That's similiar to my config as well. On the last router reboot, the first drive, thats been stable so far, was remounted as sdc1, where it had been sda1....broke dlna and samba mappings and perma,.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Try formatting the whole drive without a partition so they appear as 'sda' rather than 'sda1'. It may help. That is what I di as it saves me a mouse click when I navigate my flash drive.

samba configuration

1. Yes, that's just the way it works. Conceptually, you have changed from sharing the whole disk (STORAGE) to sharing individual folders on that disk.

Getting back to this after long time, but this behavior is really annoying. Makes me do not want to use permissions as I want to have access to entire HDD content. Now if I have let's say 10 folders on my HDD i have map it 10 times on windows machine. What the hell?! Who came up with such a brilliant UI? Could not they just borrow concept from DD-WRT, OPEN-WRT, TOMATO or LINKSYS?

Another annoying thing is why GUESTS ONLY? Why not GUESTS OK? I want guest for read only and others with permission.

If Merlin or other Contributors can tell if there are plans to rework this UI or at least to make it make sense?

P.S. It looks like root (in my case "STORAGE") is not placed into smb.cfg.

Getting back to this after long time, but this behavior is really annoying. Makes me do not want to use permissions as I want to have access to entire HDD content. Now if I have let's say 10 folders on my HDD i have map it 10 times on windows machine. What the hell?! Who came up with such a brilliant UI? Could not they just borrow concept from DD-WRT, OPEN-WRT, TOMATO or LINKSYS?

Another annoying thing is why GUESTS ONLY? Why not GUESTS OK? I want guest for read only and others with permission.

If Merlin or other Contributors can tell if there are plans to rework this UI or at least to make it make sense?

P.S. It looks like root (in my case "STORAGE") is not placed into smb.cfg.

No plan from me at this time. This is beyond the scope of this project.

You can easily configure this the way you want by customizing smb.conf. A simple postconf script should take care of sharing your whole disk.

• While the folders were listed, the perms were a single line across all perms (See attached screenshot below)
  • Unable to create new folders

I had this issue with my N66U and external connected HDD, but after install latest compilled version from GITHUB this issue was gone!
Seems issue fixed in GPL 376_2769 (from RT-AC87)