What's new

USB drive suddenly "unknown partition table"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nerre

My router (RT-AC66U running a quite old version on Asuswrt-Merlin) has just been running and running for months. Today I rebooted the router to force it to re-read some changes in the configuration (new dynamically assigned static IP for a new access point).

And suddenly it won't read the USB drive that has been holding entware for several months. It says "sda: unknown partition table". Trying the drive in in another linux machine says the same. But on my Windows machine, with EaseUS Partition Master the partition is recognized and can be browsed (however EasuUS Partition Master does not allow files to be read, just browsing the directory structure).

This has happened once before, so I now have a backup, but it's months old and I really would like to fix the problem instead of restoring an old backup.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with the drive or something else, but the drive has been working, I haven't changed anything on it, it just suddenly did no longer mount.

I've tried googling the issue but I haven't found anyone with the same problem, everything I find is about drives that are new to the router, but in this case the drive has been working for months.

Of course I can repartition it and restore the old backup, probably won't be much problems, but then I know for sure the problem will reoccur in the future... And I really hate that things stop working just because of a reboot.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!