What's new

USB not mounting after reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mith_y2k

Regular Contributor
I’ve been running @Voxel firmware for a while now, but today I had a strange issue. My internet went out briefly and when I looked the router had the pulsing white light, then purple briefly and then off. I ssh with a wired computer and while the system was up, all services such as DNS weren’t working. I waited 5-6 minutes then decided to restart it. After the restart everything is working with Voxel basic configuration but the USB drive isn’t mounting and of course all my shared files and custom configuration isn’t applied. I tried disconnecting the USB drive and reconnecting and I can see in /var/log/log_message that USB is being disconnected and reconnected, but it never even mounts. “mount” and checking /mnt/sda1 show the drive is not mounted.

two questions:
1. Is there a way to force mounting AND running the post mount script
2. How can I find out why it’s not mounting the drive anymore? Is there a log file of what the Voxel firmware runs that might show an error?

thank you

Adding some more detail:
  • I’m on the old V9.2.5.1.17SF-HW
  • Fdisk does list the drive
  • A simple “mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1”

Last edited:
That's a good point and I had that fear. I don't have a linux box handy to test, but I found some errors with some more testing. When I plug the USB in I get a bunch of messages about detecting the drive, etc. and at the end it says:
Code:
JBD2: Invalid checksum recovering block 406323394 in log
Inst RSSI value of node-38:f9:d3:80:4a:8f: 20
Inst RSSI value of node-38:f9:d3:80:4a:8f: 20
JBD2: Invalid checksum recovering block 350224471 in log
JBD2: recovery failed
EXT4-fs (sda1): error loading journal

So it does look like some issue maybe because the power went out unexpectedly. I was able to mount the drive readonly and I checked a few text files in the overlay and they are there. Nothing on this drive was CRITICAL, but of course it took me hours to setup, configure, etc. I will grab a linux box this weekend and try to fix the journal or copy the file in readonly mode. Any pointers to a good tutorial are welcome :)

I found the binary on Voxel's entware. I now have two paths, I am borrowing a chromebook and I have the binary for Orbi. Third option would be to find a USB hub with external power that can turn the external drive on, unfortunately the Pi doesn't provide enough juice. It looks like this is the issue, I'm glad I at least found some information. Thank you @Sizzlechest

Last edited:
It took a little work and I also got a new external drive, but I was able to mount rhe disk read only, copy everything on new drive and clean the partition. I now reattached rhe drive, rebooted and everything seems fine. Thank you for the tips