What's new

Using 5GHz router alongside 2.4GHz one

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MarkProvanP

Occasional Visitor
Right now, I have a Belkin Cable/DSL G+ MIMO wireless router, which has a 10/100 Ethernet switch. Since I got the router, all of the wired computers connected to it are now all Gigabit, and I am getting a netbook (Dell Mini 10v) which has a a/b/g/n wireless card. Since the router I have still works perfectly (but outdated), would it be possible to connect the WAN port of it to a LAN port of another router, most likely a Linksys WRT320N? The WRT320N is dual-band (not simultaneous) and I would like to run it in 5GHz mode. Unfortunately, the only device I would have that supports it would be the new netbook. I would still need to connect these devices:

PlayStation 3 80GB
Wii
2x PSP-1000
iPod touch
various DSs and DSis belonging to friends of little brother
HP Photosmart C6380 WiFi/Ethernet AIO

I've looked at simultaneous 2.4GHz/5GHz routers and to get one with a Gigabit switch would cost more than twice my budget for a new router. How would I set up the existing 2.4GHz router to connect all my 2.4GHz devices to the internet and network, while still letting them access all other devices on the 5GHz/Gigabit network, and vice-versa?

LAN<>LAN router interconnect is preferable as it doesn't segment the network. Given the the devices you have listed, retaining your current router is advisable. IIRC the DS only supports WEP, and WEP usage often results in reduced throughput.

If you have decided that 5 GHz support is essential, you may want to consider settling for a 10/100 simultaneous dual-band router and adding a gigabit switch later. Since you don't have many 11n devices and your router is adequate, you may benefit more from a gigabit switch now compared to a 11n router.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!