What's new

v386.7_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am staying on 386.5_2, it works without a hiccup.

I also find 386.5_2 better, bit there is an annoying new firmware notification coming even when new firmware check is disabled. I know from experiments Asus App may cause this, but even with no Asus App it still flashed the yellow exclamation mark few days after the downgrade. Not a big deal and I don't really use my Asus routers for Internet access, but is this something you see as well @laracroftonline after the downgrade to 386.5_2 firmware?
In future, you can mute the yellow flashing exclamation mark by running these commands after disabling the firmware check:
Code:
nvram set webs_state_flag=0
nvram commit

In future, you can mute the yellow flashing exclamation mark by running these commands after disabling the firmware check:
You saved my day! Thanks a lot for this information!

Is it enough to do this for the main router or does it have to be done for the nodes as well?

If this is what new firmware check changes in NVRAM - it will come back the moment AiMesh page in GUI is touched or the Asus App is opened. Both do new firmware checks. It saves the reboot though - thank you!

How to block the update servers on the router?
All attempts in URL Filter are not successful so far.

Put an entry in the router’s hosts file for 0.0.0.0 fwupdate.asuswrt-merlin.net

Perfect!

1669003473808.png

What to do with IPv6 now? :D

I have two RT-AC68U and two RT-AC68P running 386.7_2. All four are running in AP mode. Each AP has about 20 (2.4G) and less than 10 (5G) devices on it.

I have been debugging connection drops for a long time - I thought at first I was overloading the Asus, so I spread eventually to the four APs I have active now.

I still see drops - and it appears they are not because of RF issues, as the drops are happening on devices showing RSSI as good as -29dBm. I was able to determine that when the drops were happening, they affected multiple devices simultaneously - for example - it would hit all my Yi 1080p home cameras on the 2.4G radio.

The simultaneous drops gave me the feeling it was not an issue with the devices (Yi-hack cameras, in this case), as they would not otherwise be synchronized. Also, I noticed the same type of device not dropping as frequently on my other APs that had been recently rebooted. The devices being dropped are not synchronized with each other (same issue with Tasmota switches). I have custom firmware on all the devices and all are blocked from internet access at the router - no synchronization between them.

I am not sure how often I need to reboot the router to prevent these issues - I do know that at 10 days of runtime, the issue starts to appear. Has anyone found a method on 386.7_2 to determine when it is in an error scenario and should be rebooted, or has another fix? I see the prior posts about 386.5_2 but also the ones saying it has always been there, so I am hesitant to go backwards now not knowing that earlier releases don't have this issue.

With ~120 wireless clients and perhaps more coming I would replace the old AIO routers with 4x PoE powered EAP225v3 APs with plans for matching PoE switch and OC200 network controller for full Omada Wi-Fi system. Good quality SMB Qualcomm hardware with UniFi like performance and up to 200 active clients support per AP. Central management, remote access, 802.11k/v/r roaming technologies, VLANs, network stats, wireless mesh, etc. included. Wall/ceiling mount, wall plate, outdoor application APs all available. Do it right once and you know you have Wi-Fi. No more reboot and reset.

With ~120 wireless clients and perhaps more coming I would replace the old AIO routers with 4x PoE powered EAP225v3 APs with plans for matching PoE switch and OC200 network controller for full Omada Wi-Fi system. Good quality SMB Qualcomm hardware with UniFi like performance and up to 200 active clients support per AP. Central management, remote access, 802.11k/v/r roaming technologies, VLANs, network stats, wireless mesh, etc. included. Wall/ceiling mount, wall plate, outdoor application APs all available. Do it right once and you know you have Wi-Fi. No more reboot and reset.
Well, I am putting my trust in your recommendation. After seeing failures after runtime of only 48 hours, I downgraded to 386.5_2 according to prior comments in this thread. I saw issues right away with that release as well, simultaneous connection drops of multiple clients on 2.4GHz. I have ordered the TP-Link EAP225V3 and hoping that it does the trick. I have a recent Mikrotik 26 port managed switch, so no plans to upgrade to POE - however, I did see TP-Link has the Omada software controller software available for Debian, so I plan to manage it from there. Not having complaints from the wife and kids and multiple reboots will be very nice :) I hope.

This AP is $60 at the moment. This is the reason I recommended it. There are better ones EAP245v3 for Wi-Fi 5, new EAP610 for Wi-Fi 6, etc. whatever you think is needed and fits your budget. I'm trying to stay close to home routers price point so it makes sense for home use. Otherwise it's easy to recommend >$3000 equipment, but not too many home users will go this way. EAP225v3 is the minimum required Omada compatible AC1350-class AP with 2x2 2.4GHz and 2x2 5GHz radios, but still works very well since most clients are 2-stream anyway. What you need for your many 2.4GHz devices is stable Wi-Fi, not speed. Your 5GHz devices will get about 550Mbps close to the APs. This is more than enough for home users* and at fair price.

* - I'm also using 4x AC-class APs with no plans to change any time soon. Different brand and model though.