What's new

Virgin FTTP and ASUS AXE16000 problems…… please help.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

houghton19

Regular Contributor
So last weekend I FINALLY managed to get a decent internet connection. After years of 50meg and films buffering as kids download game updates 😂😂.

I have signed up with Virgin media (due to lack of choice) and because it is full fibre I have their Hub 5x. This doesn’t support “modem only” mode, this is causing e lots of issues.

If I have the router in router mode, the ip address is set as 192.168.0.1 and my 16000 I have always run as 192.168.1.1. This works with the asus WAN in automatic mode.

I thought I could use the DMZ on the Virgin hub 5 and turn off firewall, dhcp and wireless, forward all traffic to my asus, but in the hub menu it only allows the router to forward to 192168.0.X. Ok no issue I will change my asus to 192.168.0.2 but upon trying this I am greeted with a message from the asus saying “192.168.1.1 says WAN and LAN should have different IP addresses and subnet”.

I also tried running the asus in AP mode but then I loose all the features of the router I want like the VPN etc.

Is there any other way around this so I can still use my ASUS or am I going to have to cancel my VM and wait it out again for another company like BT where I can go straight into the ONT.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:
Operation Mode:Wireless router Firmware:3004.388.7_0_rog

Last edited:
Pretty sure you can achieve this by setting the WAN Connection Type in the ASUS settings to Static IP. Use an IP in the Virgin Media router’s subnet as the IP Address and the IP of Virgin Media router as the gateway IP (e.g. if VM IP is 192.168.0.1, use that as the Gateway, and 192.168.0.2 as the IP).

Make sure the DHCP server on the VM router uses 192.168.0.2 as a static IP for the ASUS Router, then put it in the Virgin Media’s DMZ and forward all IP Ports (1-65535) to it as well.

Then just use a completely different subnet on the ASUS router’s LAN settings (in fact, you might need to complete this step first to avoid the clash I think you’re reporting in your OP). So for example, click on the LAN sidebar and enter 192.168.10.1 as the IP Address of the router. The ASUS will automatically create a DHCP server for that 192.168.10.0/24 subnet, and to access the router’s settings you will be using 192.168.10.1, and all devices connecting to the ASUS router will have a 192.168.10.X IP address.

If you can, also turn off WiFi on the Virgin Media Router.

Technically this is a “Double NAT” situation, but seeing as you have the ASUS router in the Virgin Media’s DMZ and are forwarding all IP Ports to it, it’s about as functionally close as you can get to a modem/bridge mode.

@JimbobJay Thank you so much......

not quite as easy as you have said, but i think you have resolved it for me. For some reason having my router as 192.168.1.1 wouldnt let the internet come through to my stuff as i had already tried static IP, however changing my router to 192.168.10.1 seems to have fixed it. VM router is 192.168.0.1 still, giving my ASUS a WAN ip of 192.168.0.196. I have the gateway set to 0.1 and its working on my pc. Just need to go round and change all my devices I have setup as static ip addresses and gateways now.

So the "not as easy" bit, you suggested on the VM router to port forward all ports, when i tried this i got a error on the VM router saying that it cand forward about 20 ports as these are reserved, ports 25,53,135,137,138,139 blah blah blah, so im either going to do each port manually on both routers, or spend the time to select everything between the blocked VM ports.

I have managed to remote desktop from my ipad on 4g into my PC that is on the ASUS network so if it works for one, it should just be time in setting up my others.

once again a massive thank you.

Just need to go round and change all my devices I have setup as static ip addresses and gateways now.
You only need to set the gateway to 192.168.0.1 on the ASUS WAN page settings. Everything else on your network should just use standard DHCP leases from the ASUS router to get their IP from the ASUS DHCP server (i.e. all your network devices will use 192.168.10.1 as their gateway).

You basically want all your devices on your network to be oblivious to your double NAT setup. As far as your devices are concerned, your ASUS router is connected directly to the internet, as they aren’t aware what your ASUS WAN settings are. It’s only the on the ASUS WAN page do you need to have the Virgin Media router as your gateway IP, and use the same IP address on that page as the VM router is set to statically assign your ASUS router.

yeah, i have a few devices that i have dedicated IPs for...... My PC, NAS and Nvidia Shield all have static so i had to sort that. everything is working now though. Once again thanks.

I'm curious why you don't use the DHCP server manual assignments instead of static IP on the systems. If they were static on the DHCP server, all your IP addresses would be managed from a single device, minimizing the chance of duplicate IP addresses.

Never thought about doing it from the router. Always just gone to the device and set the ip address manually. No reason for that. I just like a static for some devices so I remember what they are for setting other apps up like ftp or moving files.