What's new

VPN <5% capacity due to NAT issue? (384.15)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JVC

New Around Here
I have tested with TorGuard, Nord, and multiple ports, endpoints, protocols.... and the ASUS RT-AC5300 CPU isn't being taxed heavily.
  • WAN: 800+Mbits direct from OS-X, Windows, or spdMerlin from AC5300
  • VPN: 100+Mbits direct from OS-X or Windows clients via WiFi
  • VPN: 80+Mbits from spdMerlin from AC5300
  • VPN: <5Mbits from OpenVPN Client and policy route from AC5300
I specifically, albeit ignorantly, accuse NAT as the culprit since spdMerlin gives similar results to a direct client connection.

I do run multiple VPN clients on 1, 3, and 5 and all using TUN. Firewalls, AI protection, QoS make no difference.

I recently did a factory reset, formatting the jffs, and reloaded the latest firmware.

This next bit might be extraneous information, because the performance degradation began prior to this: Prior to this firmware reset, I couldn't get to the WebUI nor SSH. The ports were down. Suspiciously, the only websites I could not access were the Merlin WRT download links. I suspect I was hacked, although WAN administration is disabled. I am not sure if there is a more "nuclear" option to reset or if the device could be failing.

Last edited: