What's new

VPN advice/suggestions with multiple ROG GT-AX11000 router network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gingerman

New Around Here
I currently have a network made up of 3 ROG GT-AX11000 routers, 2 are mesh nodes(lan backend)....(I may end up putting one outside as i have little to no signal outside the house(its like living in a freaking Faraday cage) and as soon as i walk outside with a tablet or laptop, wifi craps out).
I have unfortunately 1G spectrum, as that is all that is available(rural area), and considering adding either T-Mobile or AT&T 5g home internet modem to the mix and running dual-wan set as a fail-over for when the spectrum goes down (a lot).
so my questions is... i am planning on getting nord vpn(or some competitor) to put my entire network behind. and I am trying to decide the best option, do i use the open vpn setup on the main GT-AX11000, or, do i use the linux server i have, to connect to the VPN and then run my main router off of that (and just lose vpn when i eventually fail-over to the 5g service?). would i see the full 1G service speeds I see out of my spectrum? (obviously not hitting the full gig, speed tests are usually in the 800-900 range, with around 30 ish upstream) or will running it through the built in router stuff severely limit my speed? or run a few different connections to the service with vpn director for different gaming machines, and one for the rest of the streaming devices etc.?

linux server has dual xenon 2660 v2 procs, and 192gb of ecc ddr3, 10 1tb sata-3 drives in raid 60 behind an LSI 9266-8i with 1G cache card, which im currently cooling with multiple fans blowing directly across the card, and debating trying to buy an old waterblock for it and running a water-cooled setup on it(but thats another story). Needless to say is pretty decent for an in-house server and the only thing i would really need to do is add some nice network cards to it, i do have a really nice 4port intel card that has 4 1g ports, somewhere, that i could use, or i could get 2 separate cards.. I also have an asus pce-ac88 sitting around somewhere that used to be in my gaming rig before i just went to a network cable direct to one of the nodes. not that it really matters to the linux server situation too much i suppose?

just wanting some advice suggestions...

also of note is im considering getting instead of getting another GT-AX11000for outside, getting a GT-BE98Pro to replace my primary router, and running all my nodes off that, and moving the former GT-AX11000 primary to become the outside node. not sure if that would make a difference in the vpn client choice.

halp lol

Dual WAN feature in Asuswrt is known to be unreliable and you're not getting anywhere near Gigabit with on-router VPN client. More like 180-200Mbps on OpenVPN and 400-450Mbps on WireGuard, if supported by your VPN provider of choice. The all-network VPN idea comes quite often. Seems like scare tactics mixed with false advertisement used by commercial VPN providers is working better than expected. They say no word about lower speed, high latency and blocked access to common online services, I guess. Good popular business playing second ISP on top of existing one.

Dual WAN feature in Asuswrt is known to be unreliable and you're not getting anywhere near Gigabit with on-router VPN client. More like 180-200Mbps on OpenVPN and 400-450Mbps on WireGuard, if supported by your VPN provider of choice. The all-network VPN idea comes quite often. Seems like scare tactics mixed with false advertisement used by commercial VPN providers is working better than expected. They say no word about lower speed, high latency and blocked access to common online services, I guess. Good popular business playing second ISP on top of existing one.
well.... crap

If you insist on the VPN idea and want it faster - the x86 server you have can do it, but all the traffic will go through your router's security features. AiProtection won't see anything inside the tunnel and also QoS won't work because the entire traffic will be categorized as VPN. By the way, is this server part of your house heating system? What 20 cores 40 threads with 190W TDP and 192GB RAM ~70W are actually doing?

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!