What's new

VPN Client was down and I couldn't access the Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jorgsmash

Hello all. Last night my smart TV couldn't access the Internet. I didn't investigate at the time and just switched over to my PS4 which was working fine. This morning the TV still couldn't access the Internet. I logged into the router and checked the VPN client tunnel that I have set up for my smart TV. The tunnel was down. It was switched to 'ON' but I didn't have a public IP for some reason. To avoid annoying issues like this, I have " Block routed clients if tunnel goes down " set to "no", however the damn thing still wouldn't work until I turned the VPN off and back on and it finally got a new public IP.

I do have "Policy Rules (Strict)" enabled, and only have a few devices on the LAN go through this VPN. I would expect the devices to use the VPN if it's up and running and use my ISP if the tunnel is down. It's just a smart TV so I don't really care if my real IP gets exposed every now and then. Any ideas why the TV didn't just use my ISP connection when the tunnel was down?

Thanks guys and gals!

Think i had sort of the same issue at some point with my vpn provider (problem is that the tunnel do not go down)
Think setting: TLS Renegotiation Time = 0 sorted it out for me

Think i had sort of the same issue at some point with my vpn provider (problem is that the tunnel do not go down)
Think setting: TLS Renegotiation Time = 0 sorted it out for me

Hmm looks like that is already set to 0 for me. It shows -1 is the default, but mine is set to 0. I don't think I changed it because I haven't had a reason to yet.

Hmm looks like that is already set to 0 for me. It shows -1 is the default, but mine is set to 0. I don't think I changed it because I haven't had a reason to yet.

Edit: Ahh. 0 Means it's disabled. Should I set it to 3600 so that it constantly renegotiates the data channel?