What's new

VPN Director Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sirzur

Occasional Visitor
In the VPN director page, is it possible to add a rule to direct access to a domain to WAN?

The reason why I am attempting that is to allow Voice over Wifi (VoWifi) to work together with VPN. I have discovered that in order for VoWifi to work on a phone which is directed through VPN, I need to make sure that traffic to the VoWifi DNS host is going through the WAN. In my situation for the carrier that I am with, the DNS host is epdg.epc.mnc001.mcc505.pub.3gppnetwork.org and also epdg.epc.mnc071.mcc505.pub.3gppnetwork.org. I have used the nsloopup website and determined the IP address of the two DNS host (which has 4 IP addresses for each URL, ie. a total of 8). So I was wondering whether there is any way to enter the URL rather than IP address in VPN director. Or even with a wild card like *.pub.3gppnetwork.org rather than IP address

Here is a screenshot of my VPN director rule showing the 8 IP address
VPN Director Rule - VoWifi.jpg

Use of a domain name won't work because the underlying mechanism for such routing is based on ip rules, which do NOT take a domain name.

Code:
ip rule add to 149.135.224.26 table main

I suppose it's possible to write your own script to update the VPN Director by resolving those domain names and adding the ip rules yourself, perhaps w/ each reboot or update of the firewall. It can still be a bit tricky since you have to ensure proper placement/priority within the list of existing ip rules in order to maintain proper precedence.

BTW, in a case like this, it's often simpler and usually safe to treat these resolved domains as class C domains.

Code:
149.135.224.0/24
149.135.226.0/24
149.135.232.0/24
149.135.233.0/24
101.168.246.0/24

Not a huge difference in this particular case, but can sometimes dramatically reduce the number of rules.

Frankly, I would recommend NOT routing the VOIP adapter through the VPN in the first place, thus you could base the rule on the single source IP of the VOIP adapter. I don't like having VOIP on the VPN for this and other reasons (e.g., I don't want to risk dropped calls since a VPN is typically less reliable than your ISP connection).

Last edited:
Thanks and I appreciate the detailed response to my question. Looks like I will just live with the rules, but maybe have the 5 you recommend instead of the 8 that I have.

I too agree that the VOIP adapter should not be routed through VPN. I actually routed my VOIP ATA adapter through the WAN when I was running a "landline". But because of the imminent shutdown of 3G network, Voice over LTE (VoLTE) and Voice over Wifi (VoWifi) has been implemented by my mobile/handphone/cellphone provider for phone calls. So the VoLTE and VoWifi is through my Android phone, which I also use for browsing the internet and also has multiple banking and government services app. I therefore prefer to use this through the VPN.

I could turn the VoWifi off (and just use VoLTE) because I live and travel in city areas where there is good cell coverage. That would be a workaround to keep VoLTE. I noticed that with VoWifi on, if the Vowifi cannot be connected, the phone has a hissy fit and also shuts down VoLTE ie. I can't even make a call.

Last edited:
I had actually considered another option for you, but there appears to be a bug preventing it.

Oh, thanks for this. I will await the response to your question with interest. That is an elegant solution