What's new

VPN router advice needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bassie21

New Around Here
hi

I need a router which has (at least) the following features:

- Gbit LAN (preferrably)
- WLAN (WPA2)
- VPN server (SSL, L2TP, ... )

From what I've read, Cisco rv220w, Netgear FVS318N or Sonicwall TZ100 routers have these features (except TZ100 which is only 100 Mbit).

So far so good. BUT! I also need an additional feature: the ability to encrypt my outgoing LAN --> WAN traffic from all of my devices (desktop, laptops, tablet, smartphones) behind my router.

In order to achieve this, I'd like to use VPN providers like HideMyAss.com or VPNTunnel.se. The router I'm going to buy should therefore also be able to act as a VPN CLIENT.

My questions for this forum (hope you can help :) ):

- do you know if any of these routers (Cisco rv220w, Netgear FVS318N or Sonicwall TZ100) can act as a VPN client? And if so, how about performance? If not, has anyone found another Wireless Gbit VPN server router which can also act as a VPN client?

- is there any other way I can encrypt my OUTGOING LAN --> WAN traffic, besides the abovementioned way (HideMyAss.com / VPNTunnel.se, ...) (meaning: am I missing something here about my perception of the need for router which can act as a VPN client )?

Thanks for your advice!!

Last edited:
Those routers you listed are not compatible with the VPN services you listed. Your best bet is find a router that would accept a 3rd party firmware. You want a router with openvpn ssl support. Mainly the broadcom routers provide the best support for such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_(firmware)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

OK thanks for your reply. Is there any other way to encrypt my outgoing LAN --> WAN traffic besides using a DDWRT or Tomato router?