What's new

WAN to LAN Subnet Linking?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rljames

Regular Contributor
What is the best AC66U option method for "linking" 2 subnets?

The first subnet (192.168.1.x) is auto DHCP on router LAN & Wireless, the second subnet (192.168.2.x) is auto DHCP on ADSL modem LAN ports. The two devices are hard-wired via "Auto IP" WAN router to modem LAN 1 port.

So, for example, I have a Linux box connected to the modem that needs to reach a wired printer and wireless client on the router. As currently configured, all modem and router connections can access the internet as needed - Now I'd like to make all devices available to one another.

Thanks,
Bob

LukeRich -

Thanks for the reply.

First, I'm NOT an expert so I hope I'm using correct terminology.

The ADSL is a dLink 2540B w/4 LAN ports, w/1 dedicated to AC66U WAN. Chose this device because it seemed best available at the time to replace old Cisco 677 struck by lightning.

Your suggestion for ADSL in "bridge" mode is exactly how I had things configured previously w/dLink and AC66U. However, I've just "upgraded" ISP speed service and Provider (Frontier) technical support indicates that "new" DSL connection does NOT support bridge mode. PPPoE only.

AC66U LAN ports are fully (Sonos, NAS, Printer, Desktop PC) occupied. So I'd like to use the extra 3 dLink ADSL LAN ports for additional hard-wired (TV, Linux PC, other) connections. For instance, it would be useful to allow Printer access from Linux box. Or save files from Linux to NAS. Etc...

I noticed the "Dual WAN" option under current AC66U Merlin firmware that doesn't seem documented in Manual provided with router. Is this feature applicable to my subnet linking goals?

Thanks again,
Bob

What is the best AC66U option method for "linking" 2 subnets?

The first subnet (192.168.1.x) is auto DHCP on router LAN & Wireless, the second subnet (192.168.2.x) is auto DHCP on ADSL modem LAN ports. The two devices are hard-wired via "Auto IP" WAN router to modem LAN 1 port.

So, for example, I have a Linux box connected to the modem that needs to reach a wired printer and wireless client on the router. As currently configured, all modem and router connections can access the internet as needed - Now I'd like to make all devices available to one another.

Thanks,
Bob
either don't use two subnets (small/home users don't need more than ONE router (excluding routers re-purposed as an access point and thus don't route).

or

in each subnet's router, enter a static route to the other subnet. But this makes no sense within a LAN.

If I were you I'd just try set your stuff up and see if it works. If it does, fantastic. If it doesn't, put it all back the way it was then come back here to discuss further.

As for insufficient LAN ports on the AC66U, get a gigabit switch. It's like a USB HUB for LAN ports.

As I mentioned, prior to recent service speed upgrade I did have modem bridged to router but according to Frontier technical support bridging connection is no longer supported. Struggled with trying to duplicate previous bridged setup for a week before finally complaining my way to Frontier level 2 support where I learned I was attempting the impossible.

So as for bridging, although I'm willing to try anything, if I'm to believe Frontier and my recent experiences, I don't think bridging is possible at this point under my new Ultra speed DSL connection. (Something about "bonded" lines not compatible w/bridging...)

I also realize that additional equipment (switch) can solve my need for more LAN ports. Just thought I'd try to avoid adding more "stuff" and make use of the modem with the 3 extra unused ports already in place. Seemed like a reasonable approach and worth a try but don't know what method (routing, etc) is best. And if routing is the answer, not sure I know how to configure...

Thanks again,
Bob

LukeRich -

Thanks again for staying with me on this issue. Didn't mean to imply you weren't listening, just trying to make sure I'm clear in my explanation of the problems especially as a DSL novice. I REALLY appreciate the help...

While dealing with this situation I've searched far & wide for info. Frontier seems particularly reluctant to share details on any of their services. I did come across this DSLReports thread which may reveal some clues. And I agree - Frontier, operating under their own agenda, may very well be telling people "bridging" is not supported.

On the other hand, my bridged setup worked under Frontier Max and now the same config doesn't under Ultra. So something has "changed". Allowing the AC66U to "auto detect" the new Ultra service finds PPPoE but this connection causes problems. Frontier tech support indicated that the symptons (sporadic dropped PPP, changing IPs, etc) I experienced were consistent with router PPPoE over non-bridgeable bonded DSL.

The dLInk is my personal modem and I tried everything (all devices - hard factory reset, complete software reconfig, etc) I could think of to diagnosis and/or complete the bridged connection. In theory, since the dLink has additional ports for LAN connected devices (eg my Laptop) I should be able to eliminate the AC66U acompletely as a bridged confirmation starting point - And Again, I was able to do exactly this under prior setup.

(FWIW, Frontier setup my Ultra service with Netgear 7550 which also uses PPPoE, not bridged. But this device doesn't have some features (5Ghz etc) I need so therefore the goal of moving back to prior working dLink/AC66U)

Anyhow, we've drifted off-topic. And although I'd really like to get a definitive answer on the "bridging" issue and maybe squeeze some additional speed out of the connection to the Frontier Ultra, for the most part I'm satisfied with speed (practical 10Mbps/1Mbps).

Bob

If I wanted to learn how to setup static routing, I would google "how to setup static routing linksys". Most of the instructions out there is going to be related to linksys.

I have westell/netgear 7550 in full bridge mode with AT&T. I realize AT&T is not frontier and they probably have custom firmware. I don't doubt that frontier doesn't support bridge mode. But if you want to try/experiment. Unhook the dlink and try the 7550. Then change the "PPP Location" (under advanced settings on 7550). That will put 7550 in to full bridge mode on AT&T. Of course, you'll probably want to disable the wireless too on the 7550. It would be worth a shot, IMO.

without the modem in bridge mode, the asus in ap mode is the best way to go, pretty much. static routes wont get the lan that's closer to the internet into the secondary (double NAT'd) lan because of the firewall.

I have westell/netgear 7550 in full bridge mode with AT&T. I realize AT&T is not frontier and they probably have custom firmware. I don't doubt that frontier doesn't support bridge mode. But if you want to try/experiment. Unhook the dlink and try the 7550. Then change the "PPP Location" (under advanced settings on 7550). That will put 7550 in to full bridge mode on AT&T. Of course, you'll probably want to disable the wireless too on the 7550. It would be worth a shot, IMO.

This experiment was on my debug progression list but once Frontier told me "bridging" wasn't possible I thought the effort useless and moved on. Maybe when I get some time it's worth a try...

Can you please be a little more specific on bridge config of the 7550 - I don't see a "PPP Location" setting option on my modem.

Thanks,
Bob

+1

I didn't even know you could do that anymore...

In the US, it works, but you may have to escalate with some a-hole carriers like AT&T with U-verse. (just say no).

If you reach a deadlock, just say "Well, if you just won't do it, please transfer me to customer retention and I'll terminate my account." Usually that works!

This experiment was on my debug progression list but once Frontier told me "bridging" wasn't possible I thought the effort useless and moved on. Maybe when I get some time it's worth a try...

Can you please be a little more specific on bridge config of the 7550 - I don't see a "PPP Location" setting option on my modem.

Thanks,
Bob

Bridge mode procedure on an AT&T 7550 is probably different since they all slap their own custom firmware on it.

Here is a couple links for Frontier, and Verizon, and AT&T.

Again, it's possible that with your faster new service that it uses different custom firmware that doesn't allow you to put it in bridge mode. I don't know. I don't have Frontier. For all I know, your service is PPPoA and the 7550 is converting to PPPoE for the single LAN port you were talking about earliier. Some Frontier is PPPoA and some is PPPoE. No idea what you have. Just because you were able to put out PPPoE at that LAN port, doesn't mean that you're not doing PPPoA at the WAN.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27677601-DSL-Setting-up-router-behind-Frontier-7550-modem

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28087213-Netgear-7550-Manual

http://www.verizon.com/Support/Resi...eed/networking/setup/versalink7500/123709.htm

"PPP Location" is what AT&T uses for bridge mode procedure for most of their modem/routers including 7550 and others.

http://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/bridging-your-dsl-modem/

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!