What's new

WAN to LAN vs LAN to LAN performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

1musashi

New Around Here
I am building a home network and need the maximum performance between my NAS (QNAP TS-559 pro+) and my Windows Vista Machine.

My Question is: does the router affect how fast files move back and forth between the NAS and my workstation? I edit photo and video and have my files stored on my NAS, so max wired performance is an issue for me. I am not sure if WAN to LAN numbers are even relevant as it is LAN to LAN performance that I am really interested in.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

does the router affect how fast files move back and forth between the NAS and my workstation?

Assuming no hardware/software issues, LAN to LAN does not pass through the 'routing' portion of the router, and is typically 'switched' at pretty much full speed gbit.

One thing that can effect speed is jumbo frames support, if all network devices support it, it can make data transfer more efficient, but can also cause problems if not all devices are compatible. You would have to experiment with your network and hardware before determining if performance/reliablilty is better with or without JF.

Thank you for clarifying LAN to LAN. Three final questions:
Q1. With an UNMANAGED 8-port gig switch cnx to a LAN port on an Actiontec FIOS router (10/100 built-in switch), any 1 gig nic cnx to the unmanaged switch will xfr data to other cnx nics (to that same switch) at theoretical gig speed, not theoretical 100 Mbps speed provided by Actiontec's 10/100 switch - correct?

Q2. With a 2nd UNMANAGED 4-port gig switch cnx to another LAN port on the Actiontec router, the Actiontec's 10/100 switch will downgrade LAN to LAN xfrs to theoretical 100 Mbps speed between switch #1 to switch #2 - correct?

Q3. BUT daisy-chaining both switches together will maintain theoretical 1 gig LAN xfr speed between 1 gig nics cnx to either switch - correct?

Thanks for confirming or correcting each assumption. -Aero

Thank you for clarifying LAN to LAN. Three final questions:
Q1. With an UNMANAGED 8-port gig switch cnx to a LAN port on an Actiontec FIOS router (10/100 built-in switch), any 1 gig nic cnx to the unmanaged switch will xfr data to other cnx nics (to that same switch) at theoretical gig speed, not theoretical 100 Mbps speed provided by Actiontec's 10/100 switch - correct?

Q2. With a 2nd UNMANAGED 4-port gig switch cnx to another LAN port on the Actiontec router, the Actiontec's 10/100 switch will downgrade LAN to LAN xfrs to theoretical 100 Mbps speed between switch #1 to switch #2 - correct?

Q3. BUT daisy-chaining both switches together will maintain theoretical 1 gig LAN xfr speed between 1 gig nics cnx to either switch - correct?

Thanks for confirming or correcting each assumption. -Aero

A1. Correct, traffic going through the GigE swich will operate up to Gig speeds.

A2. Correct, anything going from either switch through the Actiontec will be downgraded to 100 Mbps

A3. Correct, daisy chaining the two Gig switches will have all communications between clients connected doing so at Gig (theoretical) speeds.

Once you move up into managed gigabit and megabit switch with it's own NPU, double RAM, larger packet buffering and larger bandwidth pool. You can mix 100mb with the 1000mb and still gain equal speeds thus reducing the need to use more than one switch. Not all switches are alike though. Unmanage switches use network controller and packet buffering a bit different pre-set to Auto sensing. Really can be slower than a managed L2 switch. You can see the difference. I have a lot of unmanaged switches here then switching over to managed L2 switch with it's own faster NPU, extra Ram larger bandwidth, an etc provides you with max speed.

This is just one factor of the puzzle, the Modem you use can slow you down for Wan LAN the WiFi or Wired Router. If you got all 3 devices the Modem, Router and Switch running at peak and you can control the port switch instead of it being limited to Auto then you can manage your WAN, LAN and LAN to LAN on a performance scale.

On your Router if you don't use VPN you can disable that task function. Free up extra memory that can be use for other task. Upgrade your firmware for Modem, Router or manage switch. Unmanage switches have no firmware update.

Last edited:
Thanks for your confirmation and further recommendations. I've got some more reading to do...

Aero