What's new

WAN traffic logs needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The idea is to put the switch between the modem and the router, rather than on your LAN. Then using Port Mirroring, having your traffic capture set on the destination port. For instance, modem on port 1, router on port 2, and monitoring on port 3. Have port 1 mirrored (copied) to port 3.

In theory this should work, as long you have a DHCP connection. A PPPoE connection would require capturing from the router itself (or moving the PPPoE client upstream from the switch).

See the Port Mirroring section of the manual:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GS108T_GS110TP_SWA_5Nov10.pdf

In discussions with Netgear, they say their devices do NOT mirror one-to-many ports, Only many-to-one port. Hence the router WAN port can not be mirrored to both the Cable Modem AND the PC. What do I know. Please let me know if you think otherwise.

I have now upped my WAN speed to 150Mbps, and I still realize massive speed drops (down to below 50Mbps) on my laptop. When I hardwire the laptop to the cable modem, I consistently get 135Mbps. So Comcast says it problem is the WiFi on the router. I will be calling Dlink to see if there are any settings which could be impacting the Wifi. I'm beginning to think I will need an AC router soon.
Thanks

In discussions with Netgear, they say their devices do NOT mirror one-to-many ports, Only many-to-one port. Hence the router WAN port can not be mirrored to both the Cable Modem AND the PC. What do I know. Please let me know if you think otherwise.

You don't need to mirror one to many ports - you only want to mirror one port (the modem's or the router's WAN - whichever you chose, but not both) to one (the PC).