What's new

WAN watchdog?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

weech

New Around Here
hey there,
i have an ax88u running the @eibgrad vpn watchdog script, which works great.

is there a similar watchdog script for the WAN connection? if so, would i run it separately from the vpn watchdog script, or incorporate the two into one?

i am not sure where the problem lies, but maybe a couple or few times a week the WAN drops and the red light on the router for the WAN connection comes on. the modem is still connected to the WAN, as indicated by the lights. rebooting only the router often brings the connection back. with my wife working from home, dropping even a couple of times during the work hours makes it more of an issue.
it's possible that there is an issue with the ISP, but i am not sure how i would determine that if the modem indicator lights all show green. i could call them when it happens, but it's much quicker to instruct her to just reboot the router if that fixes it most of the time.

thanks!

The router already has a WAN watchdog process built in. It's the thing that makes the LED turn red and says "Disconnected" in the GUI. What is it exactly that you want to happen when the problem occurs?

I'd start by looking at the modem's log file. If there's an ISP issue it would be best to fix it properly rather than hacking a workaround.

How long has this problem been going on? Did it only start after updating the firmware?

The router already has a WAN watchdog process built in. It's the thing that make the LED turn red and says "Disconnected" in the GUI. What is it exactly that you want to happen when the problem occurs?

I'd start by looking at the modem's log file. If there's an ISP issue it would be best to fixed it properly rather than hacking a workaround.

thanks for replying.
the vpn watchdog script restarts the service when it a ping though the tunnel fails. i don't know if something similar is possible with the wan, or if a router reboot is possible through a script.
i can look at the modem log (and the router, for that matter) but when this happens, i am often at work and i get a text or phone call from her. i could make a note of the time, and look later.

there was an uptick within the last month, for sure. i can't say precisely because i wasn't looking for a pattern when it first started...my assumption, then, was that crap happens sometimes. after it became more obvious that there was something more, rebooting the router was simply quicker since i was often at work when she let me know it happened.
i did update the firmware some weeks ago, and i've updated it again just yesterday.

Last edited:
Definitely check the logs on both devices.

How long has this problem been going on? Did it only start after updating the firmware?

in the meantime, as i investigate further, still looking for a script to either reset a service or reboot the router to get the wan back. :)

in the meantime, as i investigate further, still looking for a script to either reset a service or reboot the router to get the wan back. :)
I’m not sure which script you are referring to, but if you are running vpn client 1, you can put this commands somewhere in the script :

if ! ping -I tun11 -c 1 8.8.8.8 > /dev/null; then
service restart_wan
service restart_vpnclient1
fi