What's new

Wasting Money - On Tilt.. Please help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BigPun99SJ

New Around Here
So I keep waisting money on routers just trying to get my house wireless. For background...

This is all on one floor, about 1500 sqft. I have 2 laptops, ipad, xbox 360, internet alarm clock, smart tv and 2 cell phones that would connect to this wireless network. I also have a slingbox I would like to set back up. Currently, my cable modem and router is in my office on one side of the house, living room in middle, bedroom on far end. XBox hardly gets any signal, phones and clock don't get much either. TV works here and there.

I had an old linksys router than I upgrade a year ago to the WRT120N. Seemed to work fine, but wanted something better. So I got hooked into the Tomato/DDWRT deal and spent money to get another older linksys and found that the purchase was probably pretty stupid because either I don't know enough on how to work it, or the router itself is outdated so even with tomato it wont work.

So no I am about to buy another router, this time dropping $200 or so on the "top of the line" hoping that will solve all of my problems. But before I do I am looking for someone to tell me what to do.

IE.. buy this router, turn the old one into an access point so you get better inet in the bedroom with xbox, or use powerline.. or any of the other options I keep reading about!!

Someone please help. I dont have problem spending a few hundred to get this all to work!!

Sounds like you already know the way to go and have learned some of the lessons the hard way.

- Alternative firmware adds features, not performance. Those added features often introduce complexity as it sounds like you learned.

- Spending $200 on a router doesn't buy you "whole house" coverage. Right now, it buys you the ability to help shake the bugs out of draft 11ac. Without AC devices, you are just wasting money.

- A decent N600 class outer should do just fine. Check the Router Ranker for likely candidates.

- You can convert your other router(s) to APs and use powerline to extend wireless to the other side of the house, or just run Ethernet (via powerline) there.

- Another approach is use powerline to leave the cable modem where it is and move the router to a central point. Unless you have fiber service, this could be the cheapest way to go. A pair of HomePlugAV 200 adapters should work fine.

I would recommend what I been using. ESR600H goes right though outside patio deck without any issues. Can watch HD movies 100% wireless outside patio deck no issues either. Next to ESR600H would be ESR900. You can look and see what's the most current ranks for routers here on SNB. If your going to spend $200 you might want to look at SMB type of WiFi Access Point or just go with combo Wired/Wireless Router.

I see this way too many times with the rich clients I deal with, but at their homes. I consult on the business side and end up with work at some fairly large homes of these business owners.

Single routers + large house = bad signal
Multiple repeaters + large house = pain in the neck

If you have the option to get at least a couple of CAT5e or CAT6 runs to strategic areas of the house, go with some access points. I've already done some installations in homes with the Ubiquiti UniFi line and they work great. I'll be doing four APs in a house Tuesday, all with the cheapest UniFi.

If you can't do the runs of CAT5e or 6, look into MoCA or powerline to feed some access points. Seriously, forget the high powered routers and any of that other nonsense. Access points where you need the coverage and be done.

Thanks

OK, so that you guys for responding - I would like to keep the momentum going so that I can hopefully get this all done by this weekend.

So at this point I am deciding between the ASUS RTN65U, the Linksys E3200 or the Engenuis ESR600H. I have one nod for the ESR, anyone else have comments on which one to buy?

Second, once I buy a router, ill have 2 Linksys g routers and 1 Linksys WRT120N router. You talked about turning those into AP's, do I need tomato or DDWRT to do that? If so, or if not, any instructions I can get somewhere?

Third, can you help out with powerline - do I just buy 2 of them and place in the rooms I need additional access? Or do I need those with the old routers as APs?

Fourth. Assuming I get all of this up and running smooth, do I do something special with my XBOX and smart TV as in "DMZ" or portforwarding" for them to work smoother?

I feel like such an idiot that I don't understand this stuff, and the more I research the more I burry myself.

Appreciate the help!!

What are the interior walls made of ? I am running an Asus AC 66 and it covers the whole house , basement included . Could you put the modem and router in a more central location ? That would probably help . that's if the interior walls are not concrete or old school chicken wire/plaster ,if that's the case something other than wireless would be best

My house is just a normal cookie cutter new house. Drywall and 2 by 4s. I have a cable modem, with that said I could potentially move the modem to the living room (center of house) but would have to split the cable so I can still provide cable to my tv. Would splitting the cable be an issue and weaken performance. Currently it is not split in my office.

Also, I'm getting mixed reviews on an ac router. Sounds like a future preference?

Splitting your coaxial cable with one leg to the TV and the other run to the living room should have no impact on either the TV or data speeds.

That being said you need to do a good job installing the F fittings, no crimp or screw on fittings and use a good quality splitter. If you have to add in any cable be sure to use RG 6 coaxial cable

Captain - what makes a good quality splitter? Also, you talk about installing the F fittings and adding more cable - can I just buy an RG6 cable with F type connecter? I see them on monoprice pretty cheap

My house is just a normal cookie cutter new house. Drywall and 2 by 4s. I have a cable modem, with that said I could potentially move the modem to the living room (center of house) but would have to split the cable so I can still provide cable to my tv. Would splitting the cable be an issue and weaken performance. Currently it is not split in my office.

Also, I'm getting mixed reviews on an ac router. Sounds like a future preference?

Here's what I use (my design)
Cable co. coax enters house in attic.
Two way splitter there. One leg to cable modem via 50' RG6. This way, the cable modem gets best possible signal.
Other leg of 2-way goes to a cable co. provided, free amplifier that amplifies both directions (has upstream amp - most amps do not). This helps the TV set top boxes upstream work better - that upstream is what they use for video on demand, talking to box for updates, switched digital video, etc. Makes big difference in "channel not available - try later" errors on TVs.

Amp and main splitters - free from cable co. repair guy. They use top quality to avoid trouble call-backs. They also replaced the coax from my attic to their demarcation point with new/better.

My cable modem has a digital phone half too. (Aeris modem). I run this on my UPS power (1500W UPS in garage, feeds modem and PCs in office one wall away). The modem is located in the garage too. Cat5 from there to office with a switch feeding PCs and a MoCA link to one room to get cat5 ethernet in that room where I can't do cat5 in the walls.

I recently changed the cables in the attic to feed the cable modem with a tap after the bi-directional amp. That increases the downstream signal strength to the modem but adds noise. I needed this because in some seasons, Time Warner's cable plant attenuation increases; seems to be mostly when its hot and dry, for some reason. Once in a while my cable modem would lose lock a few times a day in this weather. The bi-directional amp benefits the upstream too - the power from the modem going back is reduced because of the amplfier's upstream gain. This gives more margin.

Last edited:
I see this way too many times with the rich clients I deal with, but at their homes. I consult on the business side and end up with work at some fairly large homes of these business owners.

Single routers + large house = bad signal
Multiple repeaters + large house = pain in the neck

If you have the option to get at least a couple of CAT5e or CAT6 runs to strategic areas of the house, go with some access points. I've already done some installations in homes with the Ubiquiti UniFi line and they work great. I'll be doing four APs in a house Tuesday, all with the cheapest UniFi.

If you can't do the runs of CAT5e or 6, look into MoCA or powerline to feed some access points. Seriously, forget the high powered routers and any of that other nonsense. Access points where you need the coverage and be done.

What do you use for the NAT - router in a setup like this?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!