What's new

WDR 3600 suggest antenna upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anaturelover

Occasional Visitor
hi

routeur is 25 meters from receiver, brick walls and concrete and metal between

the signal is too weak.

which antenna will have and improvement on wrd 3600 router

ps Its ok if its only a 2.4 ghz antenna ,client antenna only has 2.4 N

hi

routeur is 25 meters from receiver, brick walls and concrete and metal between

the signal is too weak.

which antenna will have and improvement on wrd 3600 router

ps Its ok if its only a 2.4 ghz antenna ,client antenna only has 2.4 N
Antenna probably will no improve signal enough to matter.
Considered putting an access point (AP) in the weak signal area? Connect to router by cat5 cable run or HomePlug IP over power wiring or MoCA, IP over existing TV Coax?

we have diffent electricit compteur so powerline wont work

technician told me MoCa wont work since there are filter plus there seems to be a health issue with the consequent electromagnetic field created..

repeter seems to fail like need a reboot often form what people say and only add 5 meters or so. un less you have a good smartbeam repeter extender to suggest...

I still think i ts a good idea to upgrade the router' antennas... but witch one will realyimprove ???

technician talking about MoCA is wrong. His comment indicates he is incompetent to say the least. MoCA is not radiated in the air like wireless. Also, it is lower power wireless. And it is used in most cable TV set top boxes for whole-house DVR.

There are EU standard IP over power line products.

Going from a standard 2-3dBi gain antenna to 6 or 9dBi probably will not correct your problem. You probably need 15 or 20dBi more gain to give adequate margin. That can be done with an access point that has an integral antenna, placed as close as you can to the weak signal area, and aimed that way.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=engenius_access_point-_-33-168-089-_-Product
This one has outdoor weatherproof packaging but indoors it will do OK too.

Last edited:
ok so what kink of device is used for standard IP over power line.

the engenius would be at the same spot as the router since the router already is in the closests spot to me

his router is wdr 3600 . would the engenius be still helping?

would we endup with 2 different networdk?

Last edited:
The engenius bridge adds 14dBi of antenna gain. If it can ONLY go near the router, I would hesitate.

You need either a cat5 cable run somehow, use IP on power line, or MoCA. A WDS repeater would be the last resort but it would be in the weak signal area. May or may not solve the weak signal issue as would an Access Point.

for power line i heard it would not work because each of us have a different compteur . is that what you were suggesting by IP HomePlug IP and IP over existing TV Coax?

it is impossible to add a wire or cable between us .

do you think moca would work between us since we live in two different appartements (in the same building though)

for power line i heard it would not work because each of us have a different compteur .
What you heard is incorrect.
is that what you were suggesting by IP HomePlug IP and IP over existing TV Coax?
No. I suggested those two as alternatives.
it is impossible to add a wire or cable between us .
That's why the MoCA and HomePlug were suggested
do you think moca would work between us since we live in two different appartements (in the same building though)
Now this is news - your prior posts left out this fact.

So it's not likely that MoCA or HomePlug can work between two different residences for technical reasons.
Your only hope is WiFi unless you sneak a cat5 somehow.

And do penetrate the common wall that's masonry, I suggest using a WiFi bridge with a high gain antenna as discussed above.

Or have each apartment pay for its own ISP.

The End.

ok since the routeur ans the EnGenius ENH200EXT would be at the exact same spot what do you think would emit better signal

A the router wdr 3600 WITH 9dbi antenna upgrade
b the router wdr 3600 with a directional antenna
cthe enh200 ext
d the dap 1525 with its smartbeam technonogy.

ps does anyone know if net gear tp link and others have something comparable the de dlink smart beam ? it really seem like it adds consistency to the signal.

thx

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!