What's new

WDS: 11g or 11n repeaters?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sihida

New Around Here
I live in a house (three floors) with about seven other people, who all share the same 16mbit ADSL2+ connection. We now use a HomePlug Turbo (85mbit) network; one of such adapter is directly connected to the modem/router. But this is quite slow, about 8mbit, even if I'm the only one who's actually transmitting/receiving data. And my HomePlug adapter is pretty close to the HomePlug adapter connected to the modem/router. Other people complain about even slower speeds and sometimes having no connection at all, so we want to replace the HomePlug network by something else. Unfortunately, UTP cables are no option.

The modem/router has an 802.11g radio built-in, but the signal hardly reaches the rooms on the first floor. Fortunately, if I'm at the corridor on the first floor and connect my laptop to the wireless network, I get a pretty strong signal and internet speeds are about 13mbit, pretty close to the maximum of 16mbit. My idea is to place a repeater in the corridor at the first floor, that should provide internet to all clients (in the rooms) on the first floor. I know the throughput would be halved. Maybe I want to place a second repeater on the second floor; it depends on the actual performance of the first one (or would this decrease the speed even more?). What do you think, would this structure be sufficient for about seven wireless (mostly 802.11g) clients, especially in terms of speed? The performance should at least be equal to the HomePlug's one (about 8mbit shared by all (active) clients).

Or do I need to add an 802.11n access point to the modem/router and add an 802.11n repeater on the first floor (and maybe a second one on the second floor)? Will I get any extra performance from the faster connection between access point and repeater, although almost all clients connect to the repeater (or modem/router) by 802.11g? Would 150mbit 802.11n be sufficient for seven clients or should I use 300mbit? Or would 300mbit still not be sufficient at all?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply!

I think I will buy three new HomePlug AV (200mbps) adapters to replace the existing 85mbps ones: one "normal" adapter to connect to the modem/router and two adapters with integrated 11n AP (one for the first floor and one for the second).

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how it turns out.

Be sure to get combo powerline/AP adapters that support 300 Mbps link rates like the D-Link DHP-W306AV. Many of the combo products are single stream N and support only a maximum 150 Mbps link rate.

careful where you plug the HomePlug devices into a socket.

No-No: power strip, power strip with lots of gadgets/PCs/printers
No-No: wall outlet with the same issue as above
The above are "signal suckers", that is, things that attenuate the carrier signal of the HomePlug.

No-No: same branch circuit (circuit breaker) as a noise-maker is on, such as certain new or failing light dimmers, certain fans/motors/compressors, certain electrical noise (on the wires, not audible noise) emitting devices like a PC with a crappy power supply inside.

No-No: OK today, not tomorrow: Weeks later, someone did one of the above No-No's.

All this powerline crud is why MoCA is better if it's practical in your situation