What's new

Weird iPhone Issue with N66U: never allows 1 of 4 iPhones to connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Billd24

New Around Here
Hi,

Been lurking for a while.
First Thanks to Merlin and this community for their great support.

Now on with the issue. I purchase an eBay iPhone last week. Got all the issues with iOS 7 activation sorted out ... ugh.

Then the weird bit. The phone will connect to either of my 2 2.4g SSID's but it NEVER communicates thru them. Always get a cannot connect to server error. Traffic Manager confirms a few sent packets, and almost 0 replies.

At first I thought it was a bad iPhone. So I fired up a spare N56u I had lying around, and it worked perfectly. It also works perfectly at my in-laws house.

I have rebooted the router, and the phone, as well as fully re-installing iOS a number of times, and a full network reset. No luck. Other iPhones and iPads connect fine to the same SSID. Very weird. Next step is to re-flash or downgrade N66U as it seems to be the issue ...

I am running Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.39_0

Any thoughts ???

Thanks

Are the other iPhones the same exact model? Whats your "Channel Bandwidth" set to on the 2.4Ghz channel? Try just 20Mhz.

Do you have same issue with any oem Asus firmwares?

Have you tried all oem asus firmwares?

Do you have same exact same issue with past Merlin firmwares??

As a last result, try manually setting channels on your router from 1 to 11 one at a time and see if any of them work with your iphone.

Hi,

Been lurking for a while.
First Thanks to Merlin and this community for their great support.

Now on with the issue. I purchase an eBay iPhone last week. Got all the issues with iOS 7 activation sorted out ... ugh.

Then the weird bit. The phone will connect to either of my 2 2.4g SSID's but it NEVER communicates thru them. Always get a cannot connect to server error. Traffic Manager confirms a few sent packets, and almost 0 replies.

At first I thought it was a bad iPhone. So I fired up a spare N56u I had lying around, and it worked perfectly. It also works perfectly at my in-laws house.

I have rebooted the router, and the phone, as well as fully re-installing iOS a number of times, and a full network reset. No luck. Other iPhones and iPads connect fine to the same SSID. Very weird. Next step is to re-flash or downgrade N66U as it seems to be the issue ...

I am running Merlin 3.0.0.4.374.39_0

Any thoughts ???

Thanks

What do you consider to be a " full network reset"?

Try the basic troubleshooting steps in link below.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12453

I have seen devices hiccup with mixed security settings like WPA/WPA2(called WPA-Auto-Personal on the Asus) and TKIP+AES setup. Try using only WPA2-Personal with just AES.

Hi, thanks for the replies. Here is more detail.
This happens on all types of networks: open networks, wpa2, does not matter, no joy either way

I have another identical phone that works perfectly. FYI both are IPhone 4S running 7.0.6

Firmware update/regression is next step. As I have only recently received the troubled phone, past performance is unknown. But my other systems have been rock solid on this network thru many Merlin updates. And the troubled phone has no other issues on other networks.

The channel width was tried at both 20 and 40 MHz

Thanks again to everyone for the great ideas.

It seems to me that it's likely that the problem is with the iPhone's settings, if other ones work.

On the iPhone try forgetting the wireless network and then once it's forgotten, go to Settings->General->Reset and choose to reset network settings. Then try connecting to the network again and see if that works.

Solved

Hi,

Just an update. Reverted to an older version of Merlin, no luck. Then did a factory reset on N66U Then - Success.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions

Last edited:
Hi,

Just an update. Reverted to an older version of Merlin, no luck. Then did a factory reset on N66U Then - Success.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions

I came to this forum for a similar problem. Apple iOS devices seem to have a compatibility problem with my AC66U that I don't have anywhere else.

They will often show being connected to wifi, but be unable communicate while other devices work fine. It's usually not all of the Apple devices at once but eventually it happens to all of them. And it doesn't happen on other networks, it only seems to happen at home on my AC66U.

I've just upgraded to the latest firmware so we'll see if that helps. But if I have to do a factory reset that means rebuilding my home network, right? If I have to go to that much trouble I'll get a new router instead.

But if I have to do a factory reset that means rebuilding my home network, right? If I have to go to that much trouble I'll get a new router instead.

So you want the problem fixed but you dont want to do the leg work? Wouldn't getting a new router require you to set everything up again?

If every device on your network works fine but Apple devices, then its Apples problem. Go bitch on their forums.

So you want the problem fixed but you dont want to do the leg work? Wouldn't getting a new router require you to set everything up again?

Well my point is kind of the opposite. If I have to do the same legwork to keep using this router as would be required to change to a new one, I might as well make a change to one that works better with my iDevices.

If every device on your network works fine but Apple devices, then its Apples problem. Go bitch on their forums.

My Apple device works well on all other wireless routers I encounter so I'm not sure that conclusion is a slam dunk.

Well my point is kind of the opposite. If I have to do the same legwork to keep using this router as would be required to change to a new one, I might as well make a change to one that works better with my iDevices.

My Apple device works well on all other wireless routers I encounter so I'm not sure that conclusion is a slam dunk.

I haven't heard of anyone else having any sort of compatibility problem with apple iOS and ac66.

The troubleshooting steps for beginners are in link below.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=12453

Yesterday I did the firmware update on my router to the latest version (3.0.0.4.374_4561). So far it's working fine since then, none of the problems I was regularly seeing on my Apple devices. Fingers crossed that it holds up.

Last edited: