What's new

What difference will I see AX53U v AX58U v AX82U v AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jaizan

Occasional Visitor
It is time to upgrade my Asus RT AC66U router & about time I had WiFi6

I will probably end up with a mesh system with and wired back haul. I already have plenty of cables installed in the house.
There are 4 users in the house, with PCs and phones. My PC and Manhattan TV box are connected by LAN.
I have full fibre broadband, with 900 mbps.
I don't do gaming & that is not a priority.

On paper, the specifications of all these routers look very similar against most items.
There is a difference in processors, ranging from dual core to quad core.
The 5 GHz WiFi might be between 2x2 and 4x4.

There is obviously a big price difference. If I'm going to pay up for the expensive model, I'd like to know what it will do better.

Questions:
1 What difference am I likely to see between these 4 routers ?
2 I'm going to buy one router, see if I like it and fairly soon after, buy another router for the mesh. Would one of the cheaper models be suitable for the second part of the mesh ?

I will probably end up with a mesh system with and wired back haul. I already have plenty of cables installed in the house.
There are 4 users in the house, with PCs and phones. My PC and Manhattan TV box are connected by LAN.

On paper, the specifications of all these routers look very similar against most items.

There is obviously a big price difference. If I'm going to pay up for the expensive model, I'd like to know what it will do better.

Questions:
2 I'm going to buy one router, see if I like it and fairly soon after, buy another router for the mesh. Would one of the cheaper models be suitable for the second part of the mesh ?
You get what you pay for in most cases. Matched routers/nodes seem to be recommended as matched firmware is important in a mesh network. AX88U pro and AX86U Pro are the most recommended routers. Both go on sale often. However, if you buy from a place that has a good return policy you can buy and try...

Best Buy in the US will give you a 15% discount on a new router if you recycle an old router with them. That brings their current sale price of $240 down to $204 for the AX88U Pro... likewise, $178 for the AX86U Pro.

OE

Best Buy in the US will give you a 15% discount on a new router if you recycle an old router with them. That brings their current sale price of $240 down to $204 for the AX88U Pro... likewise, $178 for the AX86U Pro.

OE
Thank you. However, I'm in the UK.

If I were to buy the AX53U, I save over 50% compared with an AX86U . So I would like to start by considering what do the more expensive models do better. If that's something I might notice and benefit from, I'll consider buying the more expensive model.

Do you have hardware return options? If yes - get the cheaper model and try. If happy with the results - win. Otherwise RT-AX86U Pro is the model with best CPU, more RAM and runs on newer Asuswrt 5.0 with new features. The rest are entry-level to mid-range models on Asuswrt 4.0 and will never get Asuswrt 5.0 firmware update. This means they will perhaps have shorter support. Also you have to know mixing different firmware routers in AiMesh may result in limited functionality. If you want to start cheap I would recommend testing 2x RT-AX58U first. Current model is V2 based on newer Broadcom hardware. RT-AX53U is MediaTek hardware router made to be as cheap as possible. Two identical units and wired work best for AiMesh. Good luck.

If you want long term support, get the RT-AX86U.
Asus always drops support for the cheaper models, that also are less popular, quicker than they do for the more popular models.
They also drop support for non Broadcom hardware faster.

There is also possibility a new high end router may eliminate the need of AiMesh. It will be better in range than current >12 years old hardware RT-AC66U even though in the EU/UK 2.4GHz band is limited to 100mW and 5GHz non-DFS to 200mW. New radios have better sensitivity.

I suggest you buy the RT-AX88U Pro (or GT-AX6000, if more readily available in your area, but note that the latter model may be supported for far less, because it is an older model) first, to test with. It will easily replace and eclipse the RT-AC66U you currently have.

Doesn't sound like you need mesh? But, if you do, adding a second identical model will always give you superior results not only in performance, but also in reliability, and dependability too. The more nodes you add, the worse the reliability of your network will be.

The differences between the lower-end models and the higher-end models (as I suggest in this post) are huge, depending on your environment and usage patterns.

If you're talking about the RT-AX86U, I would not recommend that model at all today (effectively obsolete and soon-to-be EOL). Even the RT-AX86U Pro is a gamble on the performance you can expect from it.

The other models you're asking about are 2x2:2, mostly, and will struggle against any 4x4:4 models that I am suggesting for you. (Another reason to not mix top models with low-end ones, within a single network).

See the link below to see how bad the RT-AX86U Pro (and the 'original' RT-AX86U is worse) model is vs the currently recommended models. To put it in perspective, that is more than from jumping from an AC-class router to an AX-class router. This is astounding when all the routers compared are AX-class.

Ultimately, what we are buying (and have no control over) is the overall design/manufacturing/programming that goes into each model, including the RF design and execution and all the variables in between (SDKs, enabled flags, RAM, and quality of SoC, cooling, and every other factor too. In other words, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, depending on these highlighted, but not only, differences.

1GB RAM vs 256GB RAM is not similar. Neither is a Tri-core 1.5GHz SoC vs a Quad-core 1.8GHz (or better) SoC. 2x2:2 is abysmal for today's networks, expectations and ISP speeds. 4x4:4 is a minimum requirement (at least, for myself and almost 100% of my customers). In addition, when the higher-end hardware/specs are used, the quality of everything else tends to increase too (vs entry-level routers like you're considering in your first post).

But, I'll repeat, even with all the right hardware and 'specs', not all models get a glowing pass. That is why today the RT-AX88U Pro and the GT-AX6000 are the best values, period. (The latter, only if it can be bought significantly cheaper, with the realization that it may not be supported for as long as the almost 3-year newer model, the RT-AX88U Pro).

See the link below to see how bad the RT-AX86U Pro (and the 'original' RT-AX86U is worse) model is vs the currently recommended models. To put it in perspective, that is more than from jumping from an AC-class router to an AX-class router. This is astounding when all the routers compared are AX-class.

Thank you for the advice. Ideally, I'd want to see a far cheaper router in that test, just so I could firstly establish that it is worth purchasing something in the over £200~300 price bracket.

After watching the video you recommended, I then found these videos:

As far as I can see, the RT-AX86U looks worse than the far cheaper TUF AX-4200. Which probably shouldn't be a surprise, given your comments.
So that's one eliminated from contention.

I'm thinking of the RT-AX88U pro.

You also have the GT-AX6000 which is a tad cheaper in the UK.
Scan recently had it on sale for 160 quid.
Thank you. All I see at Scan is a ROG Rapture GT AX-6000 for £199.99.

I can't stand the appearance of it, but if I shut it away in a cupboard, a £160 price could swing it.

So that's one eliminated from contention.

Not so fast. The videos you are watching are from someone testing the same models, but in a different region. Your UK version will come limited to 100mW on 2.4GHz and 200mW on non-DFS range 5GHz. What you are watching may not apply to you in the UK. Many people forget about local RF regulations.

Not so fast. The videos you are watching are from someone testing the same models, but in a different region. Your UK version will come limited to 100mW on 2.4GHz and 200mW on non-DFS range 5GHz. What you are watching may not apply to you in the UK. Many people forget about local RF regulations.
I take your point. There are also other reasons why results might not be reliable.

How exactly would you recommend I make a decision ?

1 There are very few comparisons of routers on the internet. Even on this forum, despite so many people recommending specific fairly expensive models, I still don't see data comparing their model with a cheaper one in the same range. So I'm not entirely sure on what basis their recommendation has been made. Making a router purchase that's driven by proper performance testing seems difficult. So many models, yet so little information about how performance would differ.

Compare with buying, for example, a PC, when there are so many different performance tests available.

2 The You Tube video seems to show differences in performance when multiple devices are connected.

That decision is different for a router/network.

First, stability.

Then, reliability.

Last is performance. And only if the first two are a given.

Network performance is capped by the class of WiFi available on the model chosen. It either meets that standard or it doesn't. If it does, that means it will be more than an entry level model. Always.

If you want to have all three, for the longest time possible, then saving a few bucks today is not the best way forward.

It is called buying 'value', with obvious improvements (as seen on the video I linked), not specs, as they are just another form of marketing BS.

So even if future products are more performant, (and of course, some will be), you will still be on a stable and reliable network. One on which you can buy/test that new hardware, see if performance is really improved (without sacrificing the more important stability/reliability aspects), and either return the new, or, be able to sell the old (profitably) to acquire the latest models worth considering at a discount.

Reading forums such as these will let you know about the new 'hot' models to consider for your network.

While watching (most) videos will only help with someone's 'views' stats, with no correlation to the 'value' side of the buying equation, in your specific network, and your specific environment.

Some tough love...

You're long over due.

With all that kit, why is your network lagging so far behind and why do you want to nickle and dime it with the cheapest upgrade you can justify? Pass the hat to your users and give them a current upgrade that will serve them, not go EOL yesterday.

False justification... upgrade the damn network already.

If ASUS, current recommendations for your new network are already plastered all over this forum.

Ignoring the total cost of ownership and current recommendations is a disservice to your network admin and users.

Questions:

Experienced network admins are not interested in splitting the hairs of mediocrity for you. The network is everything to the user, and it should be to you, too.

If I were to buy the AX53U, I save over 50% compared with an AX86U . So I would like to start by considering what do the more expensive models do better. If that's something I might notice and benefit from, I'll consider buying the more expensive model.

50% is an ambiguous savings. If that's all you want, go for it.

:)

OE

Last edited:
How exactly would you recommend I make a decision ?

The final decision is always yours. I can only try to help you. The cheapest option I would go with is RT-AX58U V2 (the current version of this model). You can buy 2-3 if you like for more coverage. It will be a HUGE upgrade over your 12+ years old RT-AC66U. As I said ANY router you buy in the UK will follow your local regulations and will be limited to the values in Post #12 above. ANY client you have in UK will have to deal with the type of building materials common in Europe. You can read reviews and watch videos forever - ALL routers for you will have approximately the same coverage no matter what you pay, £150 оr £600 a piece. Free advice is easy when someone else is paying the bill. Only one of the participants in this thread (except me - @TheLostSwede) has experience with Wi-Fi in Europe. All the rest are in the US with routers doing up to 30dBm (1000mW) on both bands and used on mostly cardboard and matchsticks Wi-Fi transparent houses. So who you are going to listen to - you decide and good luck.

Maybe I should add that my GT-AX6000 covers our 92 square meter flat with very good coverage everywhere on the 5 GHz band (500 Mbps or faster). The router is placed in a central location and half the walls are concrete and half are plasterboard.

Thank you for the advice.
So who you are going to listen to - you decide and good luck.
Thank you for your assistance.
Some of the router information elsewhere in the internet is really poor, so I'm grateful that the majority of people here are very helpful.
I read all the information and then try & figure out how much of it applies to me.

Leaning towards one of the better Asus models.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!